Why are files on my pen drive being corrupted?

julin greypg604 February 14, 2013

When I plug my pen drive into a Windows PC it is detected okay, and I can save data, but some time after if I re-insert the drive to copy data, a message shows the files are corrupted.

I checked the behavior on my friend’s PC, too, and it still gets corrupted. Is there any way to fix my drive using Windows or Linux?

1. Chinmay Sarupria

I think your pendrive has a virus. Do a quick format.

2. Qin Tang

Maybe your pen drive got virus. You may try to scan your pen drive, and then use a third party data recovery software like Recuva, Power Data Recovery to recover your data, or your will lost them.

3. Lisa Santika Onggrid

There might be a bad sector in the drive. Format it and if it's still corrupting your data then it's highly possible your pendrive is damaged.

4. maria

easily,. you can recover corrupted file with minitool data recovery, easily, i used it before, powerful.

Back up what files that are OK, format the drive - FULL format! then try with an uninportant file. If the file corrupts after that replace the drive.

6. Alex Schnapps

on command prompt tray with administartive rights
    chkdsk drive letter: /p /r
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/p/chkdsk.htm

perhaps you want to format the key if files are not important for you then perform the above process.

Panda USB Vaccine - Antimalware and Vaccine for USB devices
    http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

scan you pen drive for malware or viruses. if nothing conclusive comes then your pen drive must be broken.

After backing up pen drive, format it with quick format in format options unchecked. If it still corrupts file you should replace it.

• Dave

Format to NTFS is the best way but if it will be used on non-windows systems use exFat32. Also, check your USB port settings of the operating system. Some ports don't have enough bandwidth, especially if they have a shared IRQ.

In what way are they being corrupted? Is the drive being unmounted/ejected before removal? Have you scanned for viruses/malware on the pen drive? Is something autorunning upon insertion of the drive that is causing the corruption?