Why am I unable to connect to Steam or download torrents?

September 5, 2013

I have tried to use two different torrent downloaders and in both I can view the number of seeds but I cannot connect to any of them. In steam I get a message that says “Connection Error Could not connect to the Steam network. It appears you are not currently connected to the internet, or the at your internet connection is not configured correctly for Steam. Eirth check your connection and click ‘Retry’, or start Steam in ‘Offline Mode’.” I am connected to the internet and my browser has no problems. My brother cannot connect to Steam with his computer either. This problem has only been going on for a few days.

1. Vipul J

Also in case you are at a college or if the internet you get goes through a main router first, the person in charge of that router might have blocked access.
    Because I've heard this problem 99% from college students!

• Justin P

This was my first thought: is he on a college campus? But while blocking Bittorrent is somewhat common, I've never heard of a school blocking Steam outright. Weird if true, man.

• Vipul J

Yeah, it wasn't a usual at first, but lately, at least in India, colleges have started blocking Steam login as well.
      Main reason why I dropped from DCUO even after reaching level 30! :'(

have you tried with administrative rights?

3. Alan W

Check your firewall settings.

Have you replaced or reconfigured your broadband modem and/or router? How about any software firewalls on the computers themselves? It just sounds like the necessary ports that Steam and torrent clients need to have open and available to them are currently closed. Check the settings for your client software for the ports they want to have open, then verify that your software firewall and any firewalls on your modem and/or router are also open. With the modem or router, enabling UPnP will allow the software to make sure the proper ports are open automatically.