Why am I unable to access MakeUseOf Guides, Answers or Facebook?

Christine St Syr Griffin January 13, 2013

Something is definitely wrong. I don’t know if the two are related, but I found h online- metric under advanced browser settings. I looked it up. I am more confused.

Directed the question to MakeUseOf, read a great article about ad block and Ghostery, and wanted to enter a Giveaway. I was blocked, also blocked from questions and answers, and blocked from Facebook, trying to like something. Any ideas on what I did wrong this time?

1. Newell Fisk

You probably spammed, contact MakeUseOf...

2. Nala Dimapunong

Where exactly do you surf the internet? If it's at work, then it's most likely blocked. Some companies restrict what sites you can access, just like at my office. At my company, they blocked Facebook and Twitter. Good thing MakeUseOf is not included in the list! ;) If you are really at work, then try using a proxy. If you can access the blocked sites properly, then your internet is definitely restricted!

3. Mihovil Pletikos

i have problems with same problem with giveaway codes page.... in all browsers....

• Christine St Syr Griffin

Have you had any solutions? I am still wondering how metrix attached itself in my advanced browser settings and if I should delete I have never seen it before a few days ago, Christine

• Mihovil Pletikos

i don't... sometimes their webpage just doesn't work, in any browser.... chrome, waterfox, opera or ie10....
        and what h.online-metrix is i don't know about it...

4. Muo TechGuy

Did you install abblock and ghostery? Becuase they break the internet. Uninstall them.

• Christine St Syr Griffin

Not that I am aware of but this wierd thing showed up in advanced browser settings ummm h soemething metrix I just noticed this morning, thanks Christine

• Muo TechGuy

I'm afraid "h something metrix" isn't really specific enough for us to help. Could you copy and paste the exact text here? Perhaps you could post a screenshot of that to me - jamesbruce AT makeuseof DOT com ?

• Christine St Syr Griffin

http://h-online metrix.net, I found it in advanced browser settings taking up memory. When I tried to research it it was somewhat, oh am I kidding, it just confused me more. However I did understand that possibly it could be associatted with blocking ads. Any help would be appreciated. Christine oh I also have to log on multiple times at MUO and as of yesterday I could not access many things like questions and answers, or like an article, etc.

• Muo TechGuy

You mean you found a number of cookies from h.online-metrix? It's harmless.

Did you start clearing/deleting cookies? Because if you did, you would be logged out of facebook and makeuseof, and would need to login again. Generally you dont need to clear cookies at all unless you have a specific problem that requires it.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

They break the internet? What do you mean? Dunno about Ghostery, but Adblock works along my browser for a while now and I don't see anything wrong.

• Muo TechGuy

...Taking away revenue from publishers?

But more specifically, it breaks the third party login system on MUO (AFAIK)

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I see. Well, that explains why sometimes I should load the pages several times for that login icons to appear. Thanks.

Christine,

Did you change anything recently? I know you have been commenting quite a bit, so it used to work, right? Have you changed your advanced browser settings or have you installed any browser addons?

• Christine St Syr Griffin

Yes Tina I did I went through Google and signed up for a business solutions where I was able to purchase my domain for emails. And I am using chrome that's about it. My family has been trying to put me on tech restriction so maybe I didn't completely finish with Google. I do have confirmation letter, thanks Tina your the best, Christine

• Christine St Syr Griffin

Tina can I ask you a direct question I am not familiar with all the rules, if so obviously I need some training and yet all I find is word classes or excel or beginners Microsoft I need practical day to day how to use my pc to run with my tablet and phone the more I think I learn the more I realize I don't know diddly. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. I don't even know where to find my clipboard, copy to clipboard paste. I feel rather silly and I have a couple of teens that help me here and there but that's it. Thanks christine

• Tina Sieber

Christine,

You're the kind of person who might be interested in our Courses. Unfortunately, we currently only have an iPhone course available.

Anyways, I don't know of a good place that would teach you how to use your computer in a super organized way, i.e. step by step and based on your needs. I'm sure you can find most of what you need if you search on MakeUseOf or Google, but you might not know what to search for.

Since I don't know anything better right now, I recommend asking a new question on MakeUseOf Answers to pick the brains of several other people.

• Christine St Syr Griffin

Again, with much gratitude, christine