Why am I receiving this error when installing an .exe file on a Linux system?

Shashidhar Medi January 4, 2013

I am trying to install BitTorrent .exe file on my Linux system, but I am getting this error:

Archive: /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe or
/home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe.ZIP, period.

Please guide me. Thanks in advance.

1. John Billot

I'm not sure what Linux distribution you are using (Ubuntu, Mint etc?) but if it has a "Software Centre" then search that to see if it has a Torrent program. For example the current version of Ubuntu - 12:10 has "Transmission BitTorrent Client" which may suit your needs. Good luck.

2. Beirapadua Greaser

I think this question is already pretty resolved. must be marked so :D

3. prasanth vikkath

.exe is the file format used in Windows. If you want to install .exe files use wine software (its free) which can install almost all .exe files in Linux.

4. Vivek Yadav

because .exe files are not executable on linux...they are ment only for windows...

5. Saurav Azad

please get the correct file type for bittorrent .exe works for windows only !!!!!!

6. Shankar C

You can install windows executable files in linux using Wine Installer.
    Else download the tar archive version of the file to install

you cannot install .exe file on linux (you can if you have wine or similar softwares), but you can get utorrent client for linux as well.

8. Nicola De Ieso

The .exe files on Linux are not supported. For use the .exe files on Linux, you need a Windows emulator called Wine.

9. Robbie Blowe

dear friend, first of all you can't install and exe file in Linux as you should have tar or zip file and either a Debian installer or do it in terminal, as for bit-torrent i m sorry it is not made for Linux , you cannot install any software or apps meant for windows in Linux and vice versa, except if you use wine in Linux ,then you can install windows application (if supported)
    and i don't think you need bit-torrent for Linux since you got lot of other good torrent clients for Linux already installed on all major distribution, namely'' transmission'' and other torrent clients such as frost wire or deluge etc , Linux is complete system with so many applications in its software centre so you don't need any windows application . hope it helped

.exe is not supported for linux. Try getting an installer for linux

11. Justin Pot

Are you relatively new to Linux? You cannot use a Windows EXE file to install software, unless you're using something like Wine (which I don't recommend for something as basic as a torrent program).

I suggest you try out Deluge instead. It's got many of the features of uTorrent, and can be found in your system's package manager. Let me know what Linux distro you're using and I can help you find it.

perhaps it is corrupted file

unzip error “End-of-central-directory signature not found”

13. Yiz Borol

To install utorrent on linux you need to get the correct type of file.

You may have clicked the generic Download utorrent button on their main page which takes you to their windows download page, you need to go here: http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/linux

and choose you're core type (x32 or x64) and then install using these instructions:

• Yiz Borol

I'd also like to ask why you're messing around with linux if you don't understand how to use it. It is highly recommended that you not try to use an OS like linux unless you're very proficient with computers in general and Google in particular.

I'd also recommend making a username/ account for yourself at the forum of which ever distro you're using.

• Shashidhar Medi

So you are telling me not to learn new Concepts?

• Yiz Borol

No by all means learn new things, but from your question it appeared as if you aren't well versed in computers it also appeared as if you hadn't done much research into using Linux, I'm sorry if I offended you.

I was just suggesting that you get involved in the community of the distro that you're using, its a great way to get to know other users and learn about its ins and outs.

• jazzyjeph

" It is highly recommended that you not try to use an OS like linux unless you’re very proficient with computers in general and Google in particular." big laugh :) im guessing you have either never used Linux or once tried it and gave up. Linux is in fact easier to work with for a beginner to computers compared to most Windows products try Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS for starters.

• Yiz Borol

Tried a couple times and didn't see a reason to switch, they made things needlessly complicated for users coming over from windows.

Just a note or two: Mint is mostly a copy of windows, why switch to something like that where you get the worst of both worlds? he's not a beginner, if he's doing torrents I can assume he's been using computers for a while, so he's already predisposed to Windows' way of doing things.

I guess each person is entitled to his own opinion.

• jazzyjeph

"they made things needlessly complicated for users coming over from windows" I said for people new to computing not switching from Windows.
          "he’s not a beginner, if he’s doing torrents" that doesn't make any sense at all.
          "I guess each person is entitled to his own opinion" but yours wasn't an opinion it was a statement about Linux that didn't need to be made.
          The simple answer to the original poster was, an ".exe" file is designed to run on PC's using Microsoft Windows. Linux and Apple Mac use a different format possibly ".run" or ".dmg" but unlike Winows you can probably just go to your Software Centre in Linux and install from there.
          Hardly "needlessly complicated"

• Yiz Borol

Wow... I'm sorry I offended you.
          Please don't take my criticism of a piece of software as a personal insult to your manhood.
          I disagree with what you've said but I'm not getting dragged any further into this argument.

His original question has been sufficiently answered.

• dragonmouth

And I suppose you sucked the knowledge of Linux with your mother's milk? It is individuals like you that give Linux users a bad name in the computer community. Instead of taking the opportunity to teach a newbie something new, you spout "Linux is only for the initiated" garbage.

• Yiz Borol

Once again, I'm sorry I offended you. I didn't mean to personally insult you.

• dragonmouth

You did not insult or offend me. You just prevented a newbie from advancing his knowledge and you gave the Linux community a bad name.