Why am I receiving this error when installing an .exe file on a Linux system?
Question by Shashidhar Medi /

I am trying to install BitTorrent .exe file on my Linux system, but I am getting this error:

Archive: /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe
End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe or
/home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/Networks/Downloads/uTorrent-3.3.exe.ZIP, period.

Please guide me. Thanks in advance.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• John Billot

I’m not sure what Linux distribution you are using (Ubuntu, Mint etc?) but if it has a “Software Centre” then search that to see if it has a Torrent program. For example the current version of Ubuntu – 12:10 has “Transmission BitTorrent Client” which may suit your needs. Good luck.

• Beirapadua Greaser

I think this question is already pretty resolved. must be marked so :D

• prasanth vikkath

.exe is the file format used in Windows. If you want to install .exe files use wine software (its free) which can install almost all .exe files in Linux.

• Vivek Yadav

because .exe files are not executable on linux…they are ment only for windows…

• Saurav Azad

please get the correct file type for bittorrent .exe works for windows only !!!!!!

• Shankar C

You can install windows executable files in linux using Wine Installer.
    Else download the tar archive version of the file to install

• Junil Maharjan

you cannot install .exe file on linux (you can if you have wine or similar softwares), but you can get utorrent client for linux as well.

• Nicola De Ieso

The .exe files on Linux are not supported. For use the .exe files on Linux, you need a Windows emulator called Wine.

• Robbie Blowe

dear friend, first of all you can’t install and exe file in Linux as you should have tar or zip file and either a Debian installer or do it in terminal, as for bit-torrent i m sorry it is not made for Linux , you cannot install any software or apps meant for windows in Linux and vice versa, except if you use wine in Linux ,then you can install windows application (if supported)
    and i don’t think you need bit-torrent for Linux since you got lot of other good torrent clients for Linux already installed on all major distribution, namely” transmission” and other torrent clients such as frost wire or deluge etc , Linux is complete system with so many applications in its software centre so you don’t need any windows application . hope it helped

.exe is not supported for linux. Try getting an installer for linux