Why am I only getting notifications for question posted by me on MakeUseOf?

Rajaa Chowdhury May 8, 2013

I changed my Yahoo email and got the new mail associated from my profile page and made it current. However, now I am only getting notifications for replies for the questions I have specifically posted myself, otherwise not. Previously, I used to get notifications even for the replies on the answers I have posted on other people’s questions.

It is becoming a bit difficult to keep track, if someone is asking for clarifications on my answers, as now everyday I have to visit my profile page, click on my post to see if anyone has asked for further clarifications.

Please help. This is related to my MakeUseOf profile.

1. Tina Sieber

Rajaa,

Both James and I just tested this and found that comment notifications are working the way they are supposed to.

Keep in mind that notifications are only sent to the top level commenter. So if you reply to this comment, I will receive a notification. If then someone else also replied to this comment, only I would receive the notification, not you.

And if someone posts another top level comment, only you as the OP will receive a notification, not me or any other top level commenter.

If notifications do not work as described above for you, can you please provide an example where you did not receive a notification, so we can examine further? Thank you!

Even if notifications do work the way they are supposed to, we know they aren't perfect. It would be great if people could follow a question and receive notifications for all comments. Or follow certain comments etc. But this presently is not possible.

Sure Tina, Check http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/can-you-recommend-online-shopping-portals-in-terms-of-reliability/ , the whole discussion thread with Sunil, I did not receive a single mail to the 3 clarifications Sunil asked in the whole discussion thread, where I am the top level. I had to physically check this question everyday to check if Sunil has a further query.

• Tina Sieber

Well, your comments in the thread with Sunil were posted before your email address was changed. Unfortunately, the change isn't retro-active, so all questions and comments previous to the update still carry the old email address, and that's where comment notifications are sent to.

I double-checked and your comment above was posted with the new email address, so new comments should not be affected.