Why am I not gaining points on MakeUseOf anymore?
Question by Deekshith Allamaneni /

My MakeUseOf points are not getting incremented even if I am regularly commenting and answering questions. They remain the same. What could be the problem? Does everybody has this problem?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• EL

How can we get people to use the Like buttons more?

• Newell Fisk

You could be spamming, they put a limit on how many likes or shares you can do per day… Other from that i would just contact MakeUseOf.. I am sure they would be glad to help :)

• Patti

oh yesme too!

• Matt Smith

As other MakeUseOf staff as mentioned, we have changed the system so comments are not given points unless they are liked. Currently not many users are using likes, however, so we need to work on the system more. We’ll be tweaking points to make sure rewards remain obtainable.

• Alan Wade

“As other MakeUseOf staff as mentioned, we have changed the system so comments are not given points unless they are liked. Currently not many users are using likes, however, so we need to work on the system more. We’ll be tweaking points to make sure rewards remain obtainable. ”

Its a good job WE are not giving points for changes made Matt.

• Rob Hindle

I’m glad that the problem has been recognised and there is a will to change it. I’ve been most discouraged to see carefully considered and useful answers getting the same reward as those that just repeat a previous answer or something eqally wothless. Having to wade through dozens of rubbish answers to get to something helpful devalues the system.

Maybe comments could be listed in order of number of “likes” too?

Also it was very annoying to see the rubbish posters getting “top geniuses” status and using all their points to grab the rewards.

I’d like to see downvotes too so the rubbish posters might eventually move on to be a nuisance on some other web site.

Comments will ideally be ordered based on number of Likes. Also the OP will probably be able to pick the best answer. Down votes are on the table, the question is how they will affect points. We are discussing this.

We are trying to eliminate rubbish answers as good as possible. They are hard to catch, although we do moderate and read all comments. Moreover, comments of repeat offenders always go through moderation.

We did have a spam/report button in the past, but this was abused. Might be a good idea to introduce that again only for users with a certain experience level.

• Alan Wade

The idea in theory is good but in pratice it dosnt work! You can spend a long time searching for various links for people and what happens?
    They copy them (or get any solutions you post) then disappear.

The entire points scheme needs, in my opinion, looking at. If you are going to entice people with rewards, at least make them reachable. Under the new scheme it could take a user a very long time to amass enough points to enter a competition let alone a reward like BitDefender etc.

• Tina Sieber

Very valid input, Alan. Thank you!

We are looking at the points scheme. We are trying to learn from what others do and what our users do or don’t do. We know we must make gaining points more engaging. We are in the process of developing a more comprehensive strategy to make everyone happy.

• Muo TechGuy

Sharing will always be the easiest way to gain points, and you can get a couple of hundred a week – as many users do. We are aware that liking comments isn’t utilised as best as it should be, and we are working toward solutions. Still, sharing articles will always be well rewarded because it creates guaranteed value and cannot easily be abused.

• Alan Wade

Dont miss-understand me, if there was no reward system then I would be proberly be more happier to contribute, but as there is a reward scheme then it needs to be somewhat fair to all.
      A classic example of what has suddenly gone wrong through the recent changes is the “Profile” progression. Under the other scheme I could see progression and it spurned me on. Now I see a possible 4-5 years to reach the next level which dosnt inspire me at all.
      At the moment rather than research any questions to help the op’s, I just limit myself to what I know about and to what dosnt have too many answers.

• Rob Hindle

Alan wrote: “Now I see a possible 4-5 years to reach the next level which dosnt inspire me at all.”

Yes I was confused about that, I thought I was tens of points short on the next “genius” increment but now I’m hundred’s short. I couldn’t decide if I was mistaken but your comment makes me think maybe there has been a material change?

In terms of inspiration to contribute I had been demotivated by seeing the rocketing number of postings from people whose only motivation was collecting points while delivering no value. Introduction of some controls is a postive step and should help make Make Use Of a useful resource again but I agree with Alan that now the problem seems to be that genuine contributors have little motivation.

There is also a minor issue in that it’s not as easy to see what has earned points. Formerly I’d post an answer and see an immediate increase in points, now I see an increase next time I log in and have no idea specifically what I had done to earn them.

• Tina Sieber

Yet another important point that we are aware of: Currently, it is not clear who Liked a comment and there are no notifications for Likes. Not sure we can offer this in the short term, but it would definitely be encouraging to get this type of feedback.

• Alan Wade

“There is also a minor issue in that it’s not as easy to see what has earned points. Formerly I’d post an answer and see an immediate increase in points, now I see an increase next time I log in and have no idea specifically what I had done to earn them.”

Noticed that too!

• Alan Wade

@ Rob: “Yes I was confused about that, I thought I was tens of points short on the next “genius” increment but now I’m hundred’s short. I couldn’t decide if I was mistaken but your comment makes me think maybe there has been a material change?”

Yep just checked my profile, should be at the next step in 30 years or so from now – ROFL

• Rob Hindle

I wonder if the social networking sharing reward is too generous. 5 points for just sending a link (to someone who may not be interested anyway – so it’s spam?) seems a lot compared to a considered quality answer getting one or two likes at 2 points each. Awarding points for click-backs from those social network shares seems a better founded approach so you only get a reward for well targeted sharing.

• Charles Yost

I would have to agree with you there. I don’t know how I am going to get enough points to get something big like the ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Tablet. How do some people amass so much points to get something like that? I try my best to leave good comments, but how can you make everyone happy?

• Yiz Borol

They’ve changed the rules, now to gain points you have to make comments and then people have to like them.
    Basically they noticed that people were just spamming with useless comments and one word answers in an effort to gain points, to combat this they enacted a new system where only effective and good comments earn points.

The main issue with this system is that most users don’t realize that good comments should be liked and thus most good comments aren’t being rewarded.
    I’ve spoken with them and they’re working on it.

Deekshith,

We have recently changed the comment system to prevent abuse. We want to reward readers who contribute great comments and solutions. And we think the best way to do it, is if we reward points for how much a comment is Liked by others.

On Answers, you now do receive some points for posting a comment that passes certain criteria. But most points can be gained if others Like your comment. And this may take some time. It’s not an instant reward.

Also see this article for details:
    Rewards Update: Like Comments & Earn Points For Great Comments

• Yiz Borol

I should’ve read your comment before posting mine, it’s cool that you’ve gone back to rewarding answers (at least a little).

As long as we’re on the subject of improvements, I was wondering: could we have a system where users can vote that a question is answered so it doesn’t stay in the unanswered section just because the questioner doesn’t know to change it’s status?

• Tina Sieber

Well, how many people will bother to go back, review the comments, and decide whether or not that question has been answered?

Our current approach is this:
      A week after a question was posted, the OP receives an automatic email that asks them to review answers, respond to them if necessary, and mark the question as resolved. We will probably reward points for the action of marking it as resolved.

Another approach could be to automatically mark questions as resolved if they have received a certain amount of comments and/or a minimum number of Likes, maybe for one comment. Sounds complicated and we try to avoid complicated solutions.

PS: You didn’t Like my Answer, Yiz. ;)

• Yiz Borol

I know, I figured you can get stuff anyway, but now thinking about, it has less to do with the rewards you get and more to do with good answers, I’ve liked it :p.

I often go through the questions and check if it was at least adequately answered… but usually only if there are less than 4 comments, over that, I assume it has been and the OP forgot to mark as resolved…

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

What do you mean by ‘certain criteria’?

• Tina Sieber

Criteria that define a good comment. For example that it gets published.

• Muo TechGuy

I agree; once we’ve sorted out likes, we’ll be adding a way for best answers to be automatically chosen after a set amount of time.

• Deekshith Allamaneni

Oh, thanks for the reply. I understood now.
      Its a good move indeed as it will prevent people from posting all unnecessary comments just to gain points.

• Yashodhan Bhatt

Got back on website after a bit of gap! I too had the same question in mind. Thanx for enlightening.