Who owns my online altered or edited picture or image?

Catherine McCrum January 30, 2013

After reading your article Crop, Retouch, Fill, And Create New Images With These 4 Online Photo Editors Crop, Retouch, Fill, And Create New Images With These 4 Online Photo Editors Crop, Retouch, Fill, And Create New Images With These 4 Online Photo Editors While there is simply no comparing robust photo editors like Photoshop or Gimp to online alternatives, sometimes a simple online tool is all you need to get the job done. We've put together a list... Read More , I wonder…

Has anyone looked into “who owns the altered image” after it has been altered using any online photo editors?

I seem to remember something about an online photo/image service that claimed ownership of the finished image to use however they wanted to use it. I have not checked into the usage agreements of these services mentioned in the above article yet, just wondering if anyone found anything to be concerned about?

1. Nancy Messieh

With Croppola, PicMonkey and Pixlr - it clearly says in each service's terms that you own the rights to the image. As has been mentioned - you really do have to read the terms of each service before making a decision about using a site. I wouldn't really be concerned, however, with editing sites like this. It pays to be diligent with sites where you actually share your work through the site, but with these sites - I doubt they even save your content indefinitely on their servers.

Copyright law is a very touchy subject when it comes to images, especially when modified and/or used for commercial use without the knowledge of the creator. For example, who owns the rights to the design of Campbell's Tomato Soup can? Campbell Soup Company, or Andy Warhol's estate? Does running a piece of art through a filter or modifying it strip the creator of their rights? Short answer: no. Long answer: It depends ... how much $$$ do you want to spend on litigation?

The answer will be in the EULA. Read through it carefully to find out just what rights you are giving away.

4. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I don't know any service that claims ownership to your edited images aside of the recent Instagram dispute. However, you might want to check the site's EULA or FAQ if you're handling personal images, just for safety purpose. Variations could include right to use your images as they wish, or right to include your image in their ads.

5. Yiz Borol

It really depends on their EULA, if it says we can use everything you make, then they can. I think that Instagram (the company you're refering to that recently changed their EULA to allow them access to your pictures) is the exception to the rule.

• Catherine McCrum

Yes, I think it was Instagram. So many of us, me included at some times, have just clicked the "I Agree" button without actually reading the EULA. I no longer do that, just clicking OK. If I do not have time to read - or at least skim - the EULA I do not sign up for something.

6. Aska Nag

Hi!
    In principle any loaded into online the photo editor the image remains at them in base. They have no rights to this image, but can theoretically use without your permission.

• Gianna Marie Lanete

Yeah, I agree. >:D