Which version of Windows operating system do you consider user friendly?

Drsunil V November 20, 2013

Which version of PC Windows operating system do you consider user friendly? XP , 7 , 8 , 8.1in terms of ease of navigating and using apps and versatility of apps.

1. Drsunil V

What are disadvantages of pirated version of Windows 7?

Sunil,

I'm commenting as a fresh rather than replying to the same thread so as to avoid long threads.

The significant missing items from Windows 8 is that a Windows 7 user would miss is start menu and aero graphics.

To explain it,consider that you are working on two word documents.
    If two documents need to be looked into for making changes then aero peek feature works as a charm because,you can have a look at the word document without having to click on it.Just simply you hover your mouse to that document,and then you can have a look at it.

Second is start menu.In Windows 8,the start button is just a shortcut to tiles screen and it doesn't acts like a start button like you see in Windows 7 and previous versions.

Now,banks might be using some Internet security suites which is what I meant high end product of Antivirus software.They might had purchased 3 license bundle in cheap.

Have a look at the below article -

Windows XP Anti-Virus Software Put to the Test, All but Two Pass with Flying Colors

After April 2014,Windows XP will become more vulnerable and will be open to hackers for attacks especially,the business and enterprise users would be on special target.

Now,regarding Windows 8 applications in Microsoft store and other portals,
    Modern apps(formerly known as metro apps) can only be installed form the store only.The only exception is for enterprise users who would like to deploy their apps into their business machines.
    Microsoft store also lists Desktop apps which are simply a link to developer's site.So,the apps(software more specifically)you see on such portals are desktop softwares and not modern apps.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for sharing your expertise on this topic. I have read your detailed reply , each word with care! Regards, Sunil

• Drsunil V

Thanks a lot. Please tell , is aero peek feature available on specific sub-versions of windows 7? and how to access the feature?

• Drsunil V

Is there a good chart to compare windows 7 with 8 and 8.1?

• Susendeep D

Aero peek feature can be accessible only when there's a capable graphics present in the system.One can set aero peek by right clicking on taskbar -->Properties.

I tried to find a comparison chart but only be able to see the battery life comparison chart.

• Susendeep D

There are many disadvantages -

No updates to critical patches,hot fixes,bug fixes.
      Shutdown of system after every 2 hours(if OS is not activated).
      Online threats.

I agree with most of the points Bruce makes, apart from the one on SMART. Windows IS SMART aware, to the extent that when a drive is about to fail, Windows will refuse to read it (because of a "SMART error"), which makes data recovery difficult (fortunately, we have Linux to get us out of such situations!).
    As for friendliness, I find Windows 8 the *least* friendly OS of recent times as it is a weird mix of two interfaces. On the one hand, it supports the desktop and Windowed environment, and on the other hand it supports the "Modern" interface which is windowless and touch-oriented. Certain parts of the system are mixed up beyond comprehension (some settings can be accessed via the "charms" sidebar, others through the Control Panel only accessible by pressing [Windows]+X...). While a newcomer can use the Modern apps easily enough, there is not enough functionality there to warrant buying a desktop/laptop computer, and when they venture to the desktop, they have to learn a totally different system.
    Windows 7, in my opinion, is the culmination of the Windows 95 interface and does a very fine job of working for the user and has relatively good self-healing features ("startup repair" and friends). Some people prefer Windows XP, but the differences in interface, at any rate, are not great.

• Drsunil V

please tell, windows 8 plus, due to tiles interface, would utilize greater random access memory than the older versions of windows?

• Drsunil V

Please tell, whether windows 7 can be bought online? If yes, is it cheaper than windows 8?

• Oron J

I don't know whether it can still be bought online (i.e. as a download), but you can certainly order an installation DVD (online or otherwise) and install it that way. As for the cost, there's not much difference between it and Windows 8, but there are so many variables (exactly which version of the OS you are getting, country, language options etc) that you'll just need to find out for yourself. I always buy OEM versions which in the UK cost about half the price of the "retail" version.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Do you imply that in windows 8 there are home , professional , 32 and 64 bit kind of versions?

• Susendeep D

Windows 8.1 has very few editions as compared to its predecessor OS.They are -

Windows 8 - (also known as core version) - which is for home users.

Pro - for professional.

Enterprise - for enterprise.

RT - for ARM based tablets.

4. Drsunil V

Thanks to all respondents!

5. Logesh K

I have been using windows 8.1 for a long time. It is the best. :)

• Drsunil V

I understand. Please tell , which features make win 8.1 better than older versions?

• Logesh K

Windows 8.1 has faster loading time and it works like a charm!
      You cannot see the term "Not responding" in windows 8.1...
      Personally, my laptop starts in 5 seconds in windows 8.1
      Previously i had win 8 = 12 seconds, win 7 = 32 seconds.

Win7 is the best in my opinion because for the most part it works as expected though still not as good as it could be.

It does not force an inefficient touch-based interface on non-touch-enabled devices.

The default interface does not look like something that came from Playskool that requires a great deal of time to turn into something that looks reasonably professional.

It does not put a severe limit on the number of programs that can be open and visible simultaneously on the default interface. It is a rare thing for me to have fewer than 5 applications open and on-screen at once.

The Start Menu does not have a jarring effect like the Start Screen in Win8.

All applications run on the same interface.

Many configuraiton options can be changed via Control Panel applets although some can only be altered via direct registry edits. Win8 adds another location for some configuration options (Settings via the Metro/Modern/whatever-the-hell-they-are-calling-it-today interface).

All Microsoft operating systems still suffer from the following problems and they are only getting worse:

They do not normally inform the user of problems. For example, if it is having problems reading a file, it will retry dozenss of times and drop messages into the error log before failing, but the only indication the user has of a serious problem with a hard disk is when a file operation takes an exceedingly long time before it gives a (normally misleading) error message or code.

Even though SMART technology has been embedded into hard drives for more than a decade, Windows doesn't use it at all. Considering that the most common devices to fail in a computer are the power supply and the hard drive, this is a stupid decision So even though it should be capable of noticing that the count of pending sector reallocations is rapidly increasing, the user will not be informed of the fact they may be facing imminent data loss.

Most error messages generated by Windows don't give enough information for the user to take immediate action. Instead, they must search the Web for Microsoft's error codes - many of which cannot even be found on their own site for their own products - in order to try to find someone who has at least translated it to a human equivalent message.

Microsoft still wants to control how a user uses their own equipment even if Microsoft's ideas are in direct opposition to the user's desires. The big one here is automatically rebooting the computer after automatic updates even though there is a long-running, unsupervised overnight process that will be corrupted by rebooting the machine. This has been mitigated somewhat in Win8 by allowing up to 3 days before a forced reboot, unlike the 15 minutes in previous versions. Another personal annoyance is Microsoft's insistence to minimize the Windows Update dialog depending on how it was originally opened. I'm the type who wants to see what is going on, so automatically minimizing the window and forcing me to reopen it just irks me.

• Drsunil V

Hi. Thanks for the huge response to the question!

• Drsunil V

Hi. Please tell, whether windows 7 can be bought online? If yes, is it cheaper than windows 8?

• Susendeep D

Sunil,

Windows 7 can only be brought via retailers which have stocks left with then.Microsoft no longer sells it.

Microsoft No Longer Sells Windows 7 to Retailers

• Drsunil V

Thanks SD. Can you weblink Windows 7 sale copy on eb or amazon india?

• Susendeep D

Sunil,

I would like you to be aware that there can be(are) many fake copies of Windows 7 being sold in eBay site.So,it would be better for you to exercise caution and have a read at the below guides.

Windows 7 Ultimate, what to ask before you buy or bid.

How to Buy Windows 7 on eBay

There was no listing of OS in Amazon India site.

Your safe bet would be to purchase from Flipkart which is genuine.

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (Full Pack) Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64 bit

7. Alan W

If you completly new to Windows then 8.1 will suit your needs. If you are old school then you proberly wouldnt be asking the question but Windows 7 if you want to stay with the original Start menu or 8.1 if you are prepared to customise.

• Drsunil V

Hi. Please tell, that the applications for windows 8 in the official microsoft windows application store, are the same as in portals like cnet, softonic,,,

It really doesn't matter – it is all about getting used to it.

Personally I would go with Windows 7 because:
    1. I don't have a device with 8/8.1 yet to get used to it
    2. In Windows 8 I was unable to use the default email application without signing in with a Microsoft ID
    3. I haven't looked at Windows 8.1 yet so I don't know what improved from the brief Windows 8 experience I had so far.

For a person,who is new to computer life,I would suggest that person to use Windows 8.1 as it would be much easier for him to get into such environment in coming years of his/her learning.

But for those,who would like to be much productive,but still hate tiles,no start menu of Windows 8.1,then Windows 7 is much better.

• Drsunil V

hi. Other than tiles interface , is there a significant difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8 for a basic user ( non geeky usage ) ?

• Drsunil V

Please also tell , that security software used by banks like BOI , would work after converting xp to 8?

Please also tell , I read , that microsoft would be stopping support to win xp , so how would it affect Bank security installations and bank account usage on xp?

• Susendeep D

The most significant difference when a user gets into using Windows 8 is that missing of start menu and aero graphics.These two features can be put into productive use.

I don't know what security suite the banks might be using to protect their systems.But if they only use high end Antivirus suite,then they won't work on Windows 8 as most of the vendors have brought updated versions of their suites to work well with Windows 8 as well as 8.1.

After end of support,the banks PC will be more vulnerable as any security hole would get their systems compromised and such things must not be ignored by any organization operating with data and money of large number of hard working persons.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I understand! though partially

• Drsunil V

Please tell, that the applications for windows 8 in the official microsoft windows application store, are the same as in portals like cnet, softonic,,,?

I agree with Guy in that Windows 8 is easier to learn and use, but as a first time computer user. It really depends on who you talk to, as well. If one were to be brought up in a less graphical user interface environment, then it may be a little more difficult to grasp at first. I would have to admit that Windows 8 would be easiest to learn on a touchscreen based computer.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I have read your reply twice. Please tell , that for a geek , what would be advantage of windows 8 over windows 7 in terms of navigating and utilizing the main menu and basic applications like ms-office , internet , formatting text?

• Susendeep D

Windows 8 utilizes ribbon menu bar.It has been now accepted by many people.It's useful for a person who feel uncomfortable to navigate to menus.

11. Guy M

My favourite version has been XP Pro, but if I were to take someone who never used a computer before and gave them a Windows computer to start with - it would be Windows 8. Since it's the most Mac-like.

Personally, I don't like it. But that's because I like command lines and admin access.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell , can the aero peek feature of windows 7 be custom enabled on windows 8/8.1? If yes , how?

• Susendeep D
  12. Mian S

I have been using Windows since childhood. I found Windows 8 pretty friendly user. Haven't tried Windows 8.1 though.