Which router model do you recommend for basic wireless Internet access?

Drsunil V November 26, 2013

Which router model do you recommend for basic wireless internet access? Model implying brand and model number , and in terms of reliability and trustworthiness of brand from mass reviews. To use for basic wireless access to tether internet to mobile devices like laptop and mobile phone maintaining reasonable speed from source to tethered device and preferably to good distance ( antenna ) without additional features like modem , file transfer , gaming requirements thus maintaining cost of router to avoid unnecessary charges. I’d like to find routers I can buy on ebay.in (note .in and not .com).

Netgear JNR1010 N150 Wireless Router would be better choice for you.It has all the things that you are looking for.If you go and search for other routers in nearby price ranges or more than that,you fill find only 300 mbps or Gigabit draft routers,which you must avoid.

Netgear JNR1010 N150 [Ebay]

This model has 5 dbi antenna which ensures good signal strength.

Netgear has good routers and has good customer reviews to back it up.It has good and easy way for network configuration so as to make you get connected quickly.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for answering according to also , the description below the question

Linksys are good devices, although I don't have much experience with the more recent ones.
    My personal suggestion would be TP-Link at this point as pretty much all their routers support OpenWRT and therefor a wide variety of third-party firmwares.

Or just look through the list at your local store and cross-check e.g. with the DD-WRT router database. It's always a good idea to buy one that supports a custom firmware in case you need or want to try stuff not available out of the box.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I read and understood the point you made about importance of OpenWRT and custom firmware

3. Alan W

NetGear WNR3500L-100PES - cheap and cheerful but has never once failed me.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Point noted

4. dragonmouth

Linksys WRT54GS or WRT54GL.
    You can upgrade the firmware to add more features with Tomato from tomato.groov.pl

• Drsunil V

Thanks. I understand