Which programming language should I learn to become an ethical hacker?

???? ???????? March 17, 2013

I want to learn a programming language which helps me joining the penetration test and ethical hacking. So what is your advice to learn first? Thank you.

1. Austin

If you are strongly considering the "Ethical Hacking" profession; I would highly recommend you watching the security+ and the comptia A+ videos that Professor Messer offers for free on youtube. This is just to give you a general understanding of the atmosphere you are stepping into. If you feel like the atmosphere is to complicated or vise versa; then maybe you should choose a similar career path. Programming in general is in BIG demand right now (no matter the language). If you were to decide that this career would be for you, and you have watched ALL of the videos; then I would recommend you to start learning either Javascript, or PHP(preferably both, but try not to get overwhelmed) These programming languages deal with Web-based applications, and infrastructure, "but not only that". Best of luck my friend!

2. Farhan K

This will clear everything. http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Hacker

3. Issam Se

I prefer Java.

4. Tina Sieber

What do you consider an ethical hacker?

5. Patrick J

Well pal, it is not a proper place to ask such questions. Basically, if you are good in computers and you use your knowledge to find vulnerabliities and try to cover them from the ones who might exploit it, you are an ethical hacker. For this, you don't need a Specific Programming Language; it all depends on what you want to do in it. Like, you can start with C or Python. I would prefer doing C as it would help in exploring Linux. As time will pass by, you will get more knowledge about stuff and you will learn them and like this you become a successful Ethical Hacker. But first choose a domain where you want to venture in. So do your homework and let us know about what you want to know.

I hope this clears a lot for you.

Cheers! :)

Patrick Jackson

• Patrick J

Also, penetration test is a vast field and you need to specify what you exactly want to do in it. WiFi or breaking into a server or someone's system, there are a lot of possibilities.

6. Amit S

In fact all major types of programming language including databases too, as you have to dealt with brute force and sql injection methodology.

There is a lot of information here:
    http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/e/ethihack.htm

You know, hacking whether it is ethical or not, it is still hacking. Thats why you havnt had too many reply's.

8. Nitesh Badala

for ethical hacking you need to know or you need to have knowledge about networking.
    you should go through Linux platform, or Cisco certification.
    and the language preferred for hacking is java and c(advance for networking) because most of router coding done through these language

9. Chinmay Sarupria

You should start with C language first.

10. Avinash Mali

PHP

some of the languages have a pretty similar concept and terms. so learn a language that would be easy to understand like python or java. this will allow you to understand other languages.

12. Max

PHP is great for web-based server exploits/injections, C/C++ for the heck of computers, Java for its vulnerabilities as well.