Which programming language is used to build a financial trading platform?

Varun S August 12, 2013

I would like to build a trading platform or something similar to it. Could you tell me which programming languages are used in making some of the most popular trading platforms in the world?

When I say trading platform I don’t mean a trading system/strategy.

I am 28 years old and would like to learn programming on my own. Which are the most important languages and where are they used?

1. Srikar S

You can develop any level or type of sites using Python Language.

2. Farhan K

I think C++ will be a good choice because it has evolved for over many years with tons of resources for the development of softwares in all fields.This link will prove it's importance in field of finance though this question is about Quantitative Finance but the answers given above will prove the reason it's been so vulnerable for other competitive languages out there.

3. Guy M

C, C++, C# and other C variants are probably the most widespread programming languages. That's a very good place to start.

Many universities also use Java in their Introduction to Programming courses. You may want to look at taking one of those courses online. Here's an article on free ways to do that: 3 Best Websites To Get A University Level Education For Free

I found learning how to program microcontrollers very helpful in understanding certain concepts related to programming software. You can usually get a simulator for programming AMD or Intel processors for free on the web as well.

Once you learn a language like C++ or Java, learning others is much easier.

4. Frederick D

I don't know what language you should learn, but a surprising number of really old systems were written in PASCAL. The language is pretty much dead except for teaching introduction to programming courses and niche financial markets.