Which Linux distro is right for me?
Question by Cutler Cox /

Hello, I am currently trying out Linux. I have tried Ubuntu and really like it, but I have a dilemma. I want to have the full power of Ubuntu’s directory of programs, but I am unsure of the Unity desktop environment. It seems too flashy and performance hogging.

Is one of the *buntu’s right for me, Linux Mint, or something else?

• fallen heart

if u find that flashy content little hogging then u can gor for xfce version of these distributions. i personnaly prefer lm coz its complete out of box

• fallen heart

go to distrowatch.com and decide which suits you from wide varity of choice.

Install Ubuntu, and then install xfce desktop using

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Log out of ubuntu and into xfce session or xubuntu. It’s much lighter on resources. Now you can try both of them out and see what your like and dislike. Try Lubuntu for even lighter experience.

sudo apt-get install lxde

• Roshin idi

Ubuntu is great but try opensuse

• Arun Vishnu

i recommend you to use zorin,to explore viSit website-http://zorin-os.com/

• Vishal Srivastava

well, the only sureshot answer to that will come from you when you’ve tried all OS Linux has to provide. Here is a list to shorten down (or extend) your list of linux distros you must try- http://www.livecdlist.com/. Every linux has its benefits. Like, if you don’t like Unity, you can try Mint with Gnome or Kubuntu with KDE. In the end, it’ll be your decision and not ours. I personally use many live CDs- Kubuntu is my choice desktop, Backtrack for testing and Tails for secure web.

• Ramon Fletcher

It’s really a personal choice. Do some research (google it) and find which distro suits your needs. I currently use with bodhi as it is very light on the resources, looks good and I have found the support second to none.

It does however come with very little software preinstalled, which is a good thing, but for a newbie you will have to install it yourself learn how to install it yourself. Also with any ubuntu distro the ubuntu advice found in the forums will typically work. Hope you enjoy linux

• Ramon Fletcher

• Adriel Tan

If you like Ubuntu, but don’t like Unity, you could try Mint (runs on Gnome 3) Kubuntu (KDE, though KDE is pretty animation intensive too), or Lubuntu ( LXDE Quite lightweight). There are tons of distros out there, its all up to personal preference…

• Rohit Pandey

linux mint and ubuntu are best in all…..
    red had is best but difficult to use initially……