Which is better: Haswell i7 with gt740m or i5 with gt650m?

Anonymous September 3, 2013

I am looking to get a laptop and am wondering whether an i7 (Haswell) with a GT740m, or an i5 with a GT650m would have better gaming performance. I have looked at some benchmarks that suggest the gt650m gets better FPS even with an i5. Which is the best option?

for desktop applications it is better to have core i7 (Haswell), now if graphic rendering is better with the couple core i5/gt650m then go for it if you are heavy gamer.

Interestingly enough, the GT650m performs better than the GT740m. I can't say the performance would be a great deal different, but if you are looking at FPS, the GT650m would be better. There may be games in the future that would rely on the newer technology built into the GT740m, but for now, it really doesn't make much difference. One thing to note is that there may be a difference in the GT650m as far as GDDR memory; they made both a GDDR3 and a GDDR5 version of the 650m, in which the GDDR3 version beats out the GDDR5 version. http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1247&gid2=689&compare=geforce-gt-740m-vs-geforce-gt-650m. It is not always about newer technology being better because in this case, performance-wise, it really isn't.