Which Internet search engine has the most relevant results?

Drsunil V August 13, 2013

Which Internet search engine would you recommend in terms of relevancy of results?

In order to get relevant results,on needs to understand that a search engine is a computer program which doesn't thinks or works like a human being.So,whatever you demand must be done looking into the working of it.

You can get a bit biased results when you perform search while logged into your Google account.You can try to eliminate this by pausing the web history.

Now,after you have done this,try comparing the results of Google with DuckDuckGo,Bing and other you would like to have and choose whichever suits you to your search queries.

• Drsunil V

Very important point you mentioned about "pausing web history" !

I agree that it is not about what search engine you use (there are exceptions), but how you use them. Learn how to search effectively and the results would follow. Duck Duck Go may be easier to deal with.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for reply

3. Justin Pot

Relevant really varies from person to person. For example, if I search for "Wine" do I mean the beverage, or the compatibility layer used by Linux/Mac users to run Windows software? It's for this reason that Google and similar sites offer different results to different people, based on search history – it allows them to make educated guesses about what you're looking for.

So my answer would be to say that you should test various services and see which works best for you. I like Google, but I've got years of search history that allows it to tailor to me. Bing or DuckDuckGo might suit your needs better, so try them all and find out. I'd love to hear your results.

• Drsunil V

I have not used Bing or other engines. But it would be nice to hear from respondents before trying

Pl tell that out of "search history" and "page rank" Google search results process which greater?

• Susendeep D

Google uses SEO value of sites to list them on their search results.The site having good,original content would get listed on the top of others and it punishes those who merrily copy paste and doesn't put any efforts to bring any new,original content.

So,a user with search history stored in browser,Google highlights the visited sites,but it lists the high page rank sites at top of those.

• Justin Pot

Google's algorithm is closely guarded, and at this point PageRank is one important factor among many. Only they know what's most important to them, though.

• Drsunil V

Thanks to both

Justin mentioned "PageRank is one important factor among many."
      Can you pl specify which are factors other than pagerank which affect largely the results of Google search?

and how is DuckDuckGo different from Google in factors affecting search Results?

• Justin Pot

The link above (http://www.google.com/competition/howgooglesearchworks.html) is a good start, but the fact is that this is a massive topic that I can't even start to unpack here – and I don't have the expertise besides.

DuckDuckGo tries to do many of the things that Google does, but without taking into account the behavior of individuals. This means it's the same for all users, whereas Google is slightly different for everyone based on geography and browsing habits. I'm not an expert on their algorithms, though.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for giving insights about Internet search factors

It was nice to see your skill and understanding of technology through your article in muo

well google search must do what you want it just depends on how you do search?

5. Dave R

Google has never let me down.

• Drsunil V

I understand

Relevancy of search results is a double-edged sword.

How does a search engine know which results are relevant to YOU?
    Usually by keeping track of your history, your previous searches.
    At the same time, this history may cause results related to previous searches to be rated higher than some that may actually be more relevant to the current topic you are looking up.

For example head over to DuckDuckGo and compare results using same terms with Google. In some cases you may find DuckDucks "filtered" neutral results better, in others Google may have more relevant results.
    https://duckduckgo.com

• Drsunil V

Very nicely put answer!

Appending a sub-question based on your answer : What is main factor determining relevancy of Google search results?

• Jan F

The best answer to that is probably the one Google offers:
      http://www.google.com/competition/howgooglesearchworks.html

In short (and ignoring a lot of other factors) it's probably PageRank, relevance based on users history, how often the result/page has been clicked by users, etc.

• Drsunil V

Thanks for the relevant llink!