Which free anti-malware tools for Windows 7 computers would you recommend?

Drsunil V November 10, 2013

1. Drsunil V

Thanks to all respondents

2. Steven G

I agree with the majority. Malwarebytes is what I use on all the PCs that I have and ones I work on when I have to clear Malware. As many may not agree, Microsoft Security Essentials is a good piece of software. I would run Malwarebytes then MSE and that seems to help me with any issues that I might be having.

3. Caroline W

Hey. I personally recommend having, and using, a few. MalwareBytes definitely for Win 7; Super Anti spyware - a must as it's super comprehensive and a third of your choice, perhaps I0Bits Malware Fighter.

The reason I say to use a few is because some will pick up nasties the others have missed (it happens).

Do a Full scan first; it does take longer than a Quick scan, but at least you then know that your computer has had a thorough check and clean if necessary.

The Pro versions usually have 'Real Time protection' so will be active all the time keeping viruses at bay. Also you can install 'WOT' - (Web of Trust) - as an add-on/extension in your browser to warn you of Malicious websites. Plus it works on most Search Engines alerting you to what sites are good, okay or bad before you even click on them.

Hope this and everyones suggestions help you out!

• Drsunil V

The points in your response noted with care!

4. bill

Malwarebytes pro its very good it block bad website when they try to download malware in your windows without user knowledge. SuperAntiSpyware is also good... avast is very good too

to add above mentioned excellent tools try SpywareBlaster
    http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html
    SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware, it prevents it from ever being installed
    http://www.brightfort.com/sbautoupdate.html#Compare

• Drsunil V

Points noted

Malwarebytes free is awesome. SuperAntiSpyware is also good, but not one I would use all the time. I have a toolchest of other tools that I use as needed, including rKill (kills all unnecessary processes, makes it easier to remove viruses); Hitman Pro, HiJack This and JRT (remove toolbars/hijackers from browswers) and FSBL (rootkit finder). For antivirus I recommend Avast or Avira.

7. Igor R

I personaly love Avira on my laptop.Its a german company with a good reputation when it coms to virus.Also I use malwarebytes (free edition).Those two dont like each other so you need to shut one when running other.Super AntiSyware is also good 3 in 3 combo that I use. And it never failed me once. Havent got a virus,malware or adware for years now.

I agree that Malwarebytes should be one of the top choices. SuperAntiSpyware is good, runs in the background, and alerts the user when the browser homepage is about to change due to hijacking. Spybot Search and Destroy had been long recommended by many.

Malwarebytes. Though some prefer Spybot S&D or SuperAntispyware both of which seem to be effective. Any of these paired with a decent antivirus or internet security suite should have any Windows system covered as well as can be expected.

• Drsunil V

Thanks. Please tell whether both malwarebytes and spybot are free?

• Bruce E

Both Malwarebytes and Spybot S&D have free versions as well as paid. If going with Malwarebytes and you already have an on-access antivirus installed, just do the free version & don't activate the 14-day trial of the on-access scanner. It really isn't needed and seems to conflict with many other on-access scanners. With either of the free versions, updates and scans are done manually while the paid versions allow scheduling. The paid Home version of Spybot includes anti-virus so an anti-virus package is unnecessary (according to their website - I haven't used it).