Which brand or type of drive is best for an external hard drive?

Bhargav Godhani December 19, 2012

I want to purchase an external hard disk, power less, USB 3.0, 1 TB. Which one is best?

1. Abhishek Ambre

When u want hard disks and are in India there is only one brand to look to ...SEAGATE

2. Justin Ellenwood

Western Digital. They seem to last longer then the other brands, and they always seem to have the newest tech 1st. In an university sized work environment, we only recommend and only buy Western Digital.

• dragonmouth

"In an university sized work environment, we only recommend and only buy Western Digital."

Do you also get the best deal on them? In a university environment, when buying in bulk, one usually buys from the vendor that offers the best price, not the best product. That is not to say that WD drives no good.

3. Chin Huat Tan

Western Digital

4. Victor Manuel Osornio

I have had the best luck out of SEAGATE.

5. Joshua

Western Digital is best .. i got a WD 500Gb elements HD and there seems to be a disk reading problem and they got replaced with passport essential drive and works fine... my Go is for WD!!

6. Ammar Moati

I think that the best brand of hard disk is sea gate or western digital

Seagate Free Agent GoFlex 1TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive 2.5 inch 1 TB External Hard Disk

Seagate Expansion USB 3.0 1 TB External Hard Disk

LaCie Rugged USB 3.0 Thunderbolt Series

8. Sashritha Peiris

I would recommend a SATA drive - google it

I have had the best luck out of Western Digital.

10. Terry

Western Digital have been the best drives internal and external, their higher end internal drives seem to give best service and speed!

11. Vinh

I own some Seagate and Western Digital 2.5" USB 3.0 external hard drives. Both products work wonderfully and they seem to be well built, albeit the cases are made of plastic. Both companies have decent warranty policies. I lean towards Western Digital a bit more, though, because they have a warranty center in Canada. If you're looking to save some money, however, it is usually less expensive to buy an internal 2.5" HDD and an external HDD case. Plus, that way, you can pick products to your liking and you'll know what kind of HDD is going to be in the case. That's my experience.

12. Bumferry Hogart

Speaking from experience only, I am more than happy with my Western Digital (WD) "My Passport". I use it on a daily basis, quite a heavy user and have never had any trouble with it. Its small and portable, with a nice smooth design. Fairly inexpensive too. Hope this helps.

13. Aditya Roy

Best brand for external hard disks:- Verbatim

14. Todd Watson

There are a lot of things to consider because if you ask 50 people which is the best; you will probably get 50 different answers.
    Things you might consider are:
    prices-because they vary.
    warranty
    USB 2.0 VS USB 3.0-not all brands make USB 3.0 compatible
    What you r using it for?
    Does it come with a case?
    Is it shock resistant?
    .

Myself, i have been using Toshiba external 500gb hard drives for several years and never have had a problem with them at all. Also keep in mind that some of these companies are installing some of their own backup software on their hard drives; which you can always get rid of in which i always do.

15. Rob Hindle

Try to establish what the warranty period of the drive is. After the disk drive factories in Thailand were flooded in 2011 manufacturers dropped the almost universal 5 year warranty to 3, 2 or even 1 year. Example here: http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

On an external drive you will want a long warranty. Of course we all hope never to make a warranty claim, but if the maker gives it a long warranty it means its their higher quality output.

the best perhaps depends on the price, more you will want to pay the better will be.

2013 Best External Hard Drive Reviews and Comparisons
    http://external-hard-drive-review.toptenreviews.com/