Which Android and Windows apps can import feeds from Google Reader?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani June 9, 2013

Which Android and Windows apps can import feeds from Google Reader and then retain them when reader is discontinued?

Feedly are considering asking you to pay a premium for no adverts. They did a survey a short while ago so I switched to FeedReader which fullfills my needs.
    http://www.feedreader.com/

You can export all your Google Reader feeds by going to Google Takeout, most rss readers can import the files.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Sunil,

Alan is saying right.In their recent update of their Android app,they had started showing some ads which do have close button.I think that they are cautiously trying to roll out ads and are slowly going to introduce free and paid editions since they can now leverage the advantage of many users that they had got from a few span of time and is expected to get more after Reader shutdown.

An alternative could be Pulse.It's atleast somewhat ad-free and allows infinite feeds as opposed to Feedly's 4 days limit.

• Dr.Sunil V

Thanks susendeep

Such insight into internet you could have with your regular study of net-trends
      So I could not get free antivirus through MUO ( you had suggested in question about free av for win xp ) as I cannot answer technically as well as you

can outlook do it?
    How to Import Your Google Reader RSS Feeds into Outlook
    http://www.howtogeek.com/141269/how-to-import-your-google-reader-rss-feeds-into-outlook/

Social media monitoring smack down: Feedly vs. Netvibes
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/03/google-reader-netvibes-feedly/

Easily migrate from Google Reader to Netvibes
    http://blog.netvibes.com/easily-migrate-from-google-reader-to-netvibes/

Feedly is a better app who is listening to user's requests and is working hard to improve upon. It already has Android app and has promised to develop Windows phone app[see 4th point].

Although,Pulse used to have a Windows phone app,it has pulled it off after it launched its web app.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

A counter-question : If google reader feeds are imported to feedly. Then Google reader discontinues. Then if feedly asks to log into google reader again to sync feeds ( say if the app is reinstalled or updated ) then the earlier feeds in feedly could not be used?

Feeds remain in your Google account and the app is only mode of access.It doesn't means that whenever you delete or update Feedly,the feeds would also get deleted and would require sync.

Feedly imports all the feeds from Google servers to their servers.So,this affirms that even if Google shuts down their reader servers,all your feeds are safe.

But if you want to be sure that you don't loose out your feeds and also want to use those feeds to other readers,then use Google Takeout service.

• Dr.Sunil V

I read your replies with care

Appending a sub-question : Then why is it that at times - after re-installing the app it asks to log-in again into Google or Android

So it is asking to log-in into Google reader again to re-import feeds?
      If yes , then after Google reader stops then how would it import feeds?

I have also seen this what you are saying in my friend's tablet.

Whenever I update it,it asks for Google login.Before updating the app,I had saved one source which automatically got saved after updating it.So,you can be rest assured that all your imported feeds would remain intact.

And as I have told you,it would be better to have a backup copy.

There are also so many bugs in this app that the developer might had forgot to fix.When the developer would sort all the problems regarding server overheads and others,he might focus on his apps properly.

4. Ashwin Ramesh

I guess Feedly should help you out here. (http://www.feedly.com/)

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

These apps on importing Google reader feeds would retain the Google reader feeds after Google reader gets discontinued?

• Leland Whitlock

When you import your feeds into another app or site they will then be inside there without ties to Google. However I believe the feeds can be exported with Google Takeout though I do not know what form this file would take. Probably either HTML or XML. I have not tried it so I am not sure about that.

• Dr.Sunil Vaswani

Thanks. You mean if google reader feed has been imported to feedly android app then the feeds would stay in the app even after google reader is discontinued ( with no pre-requisite for exporting Google reader feeds to file )