Where to get Linux training in Montreal?

jonathan railite May 26, 2013

I would like to learn Linux, i.e. as a career change.

I do not have a computer background. However, when friends have technical problems with their PCs, they call me. I would say my knowledge in computers is pretty good, however, no knowledge regarding the programming aspect.

My question is, I do not want to do a university program in computers, I’d want to simply do a certification in Linux. Does someone know of a school that provides said training in Montreal?

Thank you!

I would make your goals a little more realistic and specific. Simply learning linux isnt going to result in a job, just as being able to use windows won't either. If you want a job in some area of computing, you'll need to specialise - technical support, for example. An MCITP (Microsoft Certified something something!) course might get you on the bottom rungs of a support job. Likewise, CCNA would be your starting point for a career in networking. There's a wide range of training material for both, but they are incredibly technical. For something slightly easier, I took CompTIA A+ Engineer and Network+ (both cheap, and fairly easy), but I don't those alone would guarantee a job, unless a CCNA, for example.

your city council perhaps do provide this kind of info or also training perhaps on evening.

Who We Are
    Founded in 1999, Savoir-faire Linux has an outstanding team of over 60 Free Software consultants based in Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa, and is a leading provider of training, consulting, development and support services on open source technologies.

http://www.savoirfairelinux.com/en/home

Training locations
    Find the Red Hat® Training location closest to you.

Montreal, QC
    Exit Certified
    1155 Metcalfe Street
    Sun Life Building - Suite 2120
    Montréal, Quebec H3B 2V6

http://www.exitcertified.com/locations/montreal-training.php

A quick search on Google yields a boatload of training options in Montreal. However, if you are a self-starter, you may be better served by picking up a couple of certification prep books from Amazon, configuring a couple of spare computers (or one powerful computer capable of running a couple of virtual machines simultaneously) in order to design and administer your own network so you already have the basics before paying gobs of money to someone else for the early (and generally easier) part. Once you get to the more advanced topics of system and network administration, it may be worth it to get additional training from someone else.

You state that you don't have a computer background. In that case, you may want to consider doing a lot of reading on the stuff that seems to be ignored even in college-level computer science courses - hardware. I have met far too many people in the field that have no clue how the hardware actually works and this lack of knowledge works against them. All aspects of working with computers is much easier if you know how a transistor really works, what an adder circuit is and how it works, how a single circuit with the proper inputs can function to perform addition, subtraction, and logical operations on a single bit and how these circuits strung together can create such a magical computing device. This kind of knowledge not only makes troubleshooting the hardware easier, but also finding and fixing problems at all levels and providing an understanding of why certain programming algorithms are more efficient that others based on the hardware architecture being utilized. (From what I have seen in the past, I don't think college programming courses ever talk about hardware with the students ever - well maybe those who are doing OS programming, but that is kind of questionable as well from some of the things they have said to me.)

Good suggestion as usual, Bruce.