Can you help me figure out OS X Disk Utility?

Laura Mosher December 4, 2012

In Mac OS X Disc Utility when trying to restore a disc, from one and to another, it asks you to drag an image from list on left to copy from and again, drag or browse for disc image destination to copy to. Where do you find disc images?

I hate using the utility – I’m sure it is simple for most, but my ADHD mind can’t wrap around it. Can someone explain this procedure to me please?

1. Gerhard Tinned

Disk images are files containing the content of a partition. There are different formats / file endings of those. The most popular are .ISO and in the mac world the .DMG disk images.

If you wanne create a disk image from one of your disks, the Disk Utility has a spezial menu item to do so. To do this, select the disk/partition to create a image of, then open the "File" menu -> "New" -> Disk Image from "DISKNAME" item.

The destination in the section of disk utility you describe is usualy not a disk image. The source might be to restore to a real disk, but i never needed to set the destination to a disk image.

Hope that helps.

2. rohit pandey

Follow instructions for cloning HDD listed here - http://www.macinstruct.com/node/147