Where is my MakeUseOf profile that I registered for weeks ago and how can I earn points?

Amanda Nagle-Chicoine January 16, 2013

Weeks ago I registered with MakeUseOf and subscribed to the newsletter (which I do get). But when I come on the site and log in whether I use my Google, Windows, or Twitter account it doesn’t matter. I have commented, shared lots of articles from this site on Facebook, but I still have never seen a profile or any points that I should have earned. Why?

1. Charles Yost

The problem that I have had if I am not on here for awhile is what account did I use? Maybe you used a different email account or other login options. What I do is try the ones I know that I probably used and narrow it down by trying them all until I get the one that had the most point on it. That usually will be the one that you started with. That is what I do any way and it always works for me.

2. Lisa Santika Onggrid

You must login from whatever account you used when you registered. Other accounts must be linked manually afterwards. You can earn points by making useful/interesting comments which is 'liked' by other users, answering questions, linking to your social network accounts, or making the best comment in MUO's two weekly events (poll and 'we ask you')

3. Sashritha Peiris

To earn points share articles using the share pane on the left of the web page.This question has it's own share pane, look to the left and you should see a light blue pane. Also commenting and posting answers should get you points. But do not go overboard, if you noticed that after about 10 shares or answers that you are not getting anymore, points stop doing it. If you keep on doing it your account might get suspended.

4. Paul Pruitt

Yes, I agree with Austin. Try IE 9 or 10 (if you have Windows 8) too. IE has gotten better and people know it. It's increasing in market share again. MakeUseOf plays nice with IE but has a complicated relationship with Chrome for some reason.

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

Paul I think both you and Austin have a point- I can still use Chrome for everything else. I like IE but if I choose the wrong version (32 or 64 bit) then it crashes constantly. Since the computer is 64 bit I would think use that one but actually I think it is the opposite (Not quite sure) Anyway I definitely agree about Chrome and MUO!

• Muo TechGuy

Um, I gotta jump in and disagree here. Always use chrome, never IE. If its not working with chrome, its down to extensions.

5. Austin Halsell

This may sound silly, but try using a different browser. I use a Mac, but I use Chrome as my main browser. However, I found out (with the wonderful help of Matt here at MUO) that Chrome doesn't work well with MUO's log in. Though it does recognize that you are logged on and lets you comment, ask questions, etc. it does not let you view your profile, points, and constantly displays the register/login bar at the top, rather than your user info.

Log advice short, use Safari--like I am now--if you use a Mac or Firefox since those both should work.

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

Actually Austin it doesn't sound silly because even though I can now see my profile, I've been sharing links and commenting all day and the last one that showed up when I checked while ago was from early this morning. I used to use Fire Fox but I don't think it is quite as good as it was a year ago.

6. Muo TechGuy

Hi Amanda. I'm a little confused, as you were clearly able to login in order to ask this question and post a comment. Could you try clearing your cookies, and disable any browser plugins that break the internet, such as AdBlock, NoScript, Ghostery, DoNotTrack - these all interfere with the loading of third party cookies. Or if that doesn't solve it, send a screenshot of your full browser, to james@ this website.

• Jack Schiff

And i lost some my answers))
      BTW, James, why you don't cleaned "Alt F4" guy?
      http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-change-the-boot-order-on-your-pc-so-you-can-boot-from-usb/

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

James thank you for all your help. I saw the 'Browser' article and sent you a link. Now I'm going to have to check out the boot from usb link (no clue what you are talking about:) - I used to think I was fairly intelligent but after today I'm not so sure! Again, thank you! Amanda C.

• Muo TechGuy

POsting under my email? How thoroughly weird. Deleted, thanks!

7. Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

I can see the question that I asked and 2 replies. On the right hand side of the page (at the top) it still says Register or Log-In (I logged in with Google) and lists Top geniuses this week. (I took a screen shot of the page in One Note just so I would have it.

• Krishna Singh

If you have any ad blocking software or extensions such as ad-block plus or do-not track me installed in your browser, then it may be one of the cause.

If you have any disable them and then try again.

8. Ashwin Ramesh

Try clearing your browser cache. You mean to say that you aren't able to see anything on the top-right corner when you log in?

9. Wouter Ruelens

I don't know how you made your account, but you can do over this to check wether you did it correctly.

If you use multiple services to access your account you should also link them so MUO knows they belong to the same user.
    I hope this helped you.