Where can I recycle computer parts for money in Ohio?

illegal3alien March 1, 2013

I live in western Ohio and am looking for a place to recycle old computer parts and electronic scrap for money. I have 3-4 motherboards, some pcb from large devices, a couple processors, video/graphics cards, and a box of cd readers. I also have some computer cases and power supplies. Most of which are either broken and 10+ years old (not worth selling). I don’t think I could possibly make any money selling them since they are so old. Anyone familiar with places around Dayton or Columbus? I’ve done some searching, but haven’t found anything close. It would have to be west or southwest (although I do visit Columbus a couple times a year).

perhaps they can be used for training, demonstration, if you would like to donate then contact colleges/universities...

Top 10 Cool Uses For Old Computers And Laptops
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-10-cool-uses-for-old-computers-and-laptops/

3 PC ways to get rid of an old PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/business/en-us/resources/technology/hardware/3-pc-ways-to-get-rid-of-an-old-pc.aspx?fbid=4_A2ZJCI8TI

http://www.freecycle.org/

What Can I Do With My Computers, TVs and other Electronic (E) Waste?
    http://www.swaco.org/recycleElectronics.aspx
    Ohio Drop Off
    http://www.ohiodropoff.com/

2. Tina Sieber

I'm afraid I can't really answer your question. However, for anyone else reading this, I just wanted to emphasize that you're on the right track and provide some additional information. Hope it's helpful for someone.

There are tons of precious and rare metals in electronic waste, including gold and aluminium. With declining natural resources of many metals, as well as increasing costs (not least environmental) for extracting them, the recycling industry is beginning to boom. If you are serious about turning your e-waste into money, I would recommend to wait; the raw material will only become more valuable with time.

However, as you have already figured out you can Make Money from Junk now or find someone in your area who is doing it.

Also see this YouTube video for some hands on advice on what computer parts are the most valuable and why.

• Muo TechGuy

The value is unlikely to change for quite a while, and the value will only eventually rise if we don't find alternatives to precious metals and current circuit structures - which we no doubt will.

Also, that site you linked to is quite hilarious - "buy this ebook and make millions!". It's a classic spam squeeze page; if it were so easy, everyone would be doing it. There are serious dangers involved when working with circuits boards, the kind you can't see but end up inhaling and dying 10 years later from it. I looked this all up ages ago when seriously considering "upcycling" circuit boards into jewelery.

Giving it to your local government to handle is the safest way of dealing with e-waste.

• Tina Sieber

I agree that giving it to a recycling facility is the best and safest solution. And there are lot of them, even in the US.

3. muotechguy

Old computer hardware is worth absolutely nothing - hence the growing piles of e-waste collecting in China. The workers there will extract components from boards, and receive a pittance for it, as well as various cancers they get from inhaling fumes and microparticles created in the recycling process. If your city picks them up for free, use that - they will figure out how best to recycle them safely / or send them to China. Honestly, don't expect to get any kind of money for old hardware. If the motherboards are serviceable, sell them on ebay.

Notice that the "cashforelectronicscrapusa.com" don't actually listed prices on their site, because for the amount you're offering it would barely reach 50c, if that.

• Tina Sieber

First off, exporting electronic waste to China or elsewhere is illegal in the US (and Europe). The waste ends up in Asia and Africa anyways, because it is declared as second hand goods. With the amounts of goods being exported, controls are hopelessly overwhelmed.

Second, electronic waste is in fact precious! And even if it's negligible today in terms of money, this is changing. See my proper answer.

• Muo TechGuy

Interesting. Wasn't illegal in Japan, which is where I was involved with it.

Have you tried here?

5. Charles Thomerson

Not aware of any place in Ohio specifically... however, go to cashforelectronicscrapusa.com or email info@cashforelectronicscrapusa.com. They advertise paying cash for electronic & computer scrap. They will send you a free FedEx label for your shipment.