Where can I find a barcode scanner for my Android phone that works?

Dr.Sunil Vaswani May 18, 2012

I can scan barcodes that show up on a PC screen, but it does not work on products.

Even with autofocus, great light and great direction, the barcode scan doesn’t work on products.

Is there any app for Android that will work?

1. Declan Lopez

Google Goggles works well.

2. tom

I need a barcode scanner that scans into a browser field so i can use my android phone as an extension of our epos system. However most barcode apps seems to work in isolation. Do you know if there is an app that does what i require?

3. Oron

ScanLife is great! I've never used it for ordinary barcodes, but it works perfectly with QR codes on my cheap Android phone which has a rubbish camera.

• Sunil

hi

Thanks for reply

Question is not for codes on computer screen , but for scanning codes on labels of products like on books,grocery

I have used apps for bar code scanning

They could work on codes on computer screen but did not directly on labels

Have you tried to do on codes on labels of books or an item ( except on computer screen )?

• Oron

Yes, absolutely. I've used ScanLife on printed QR codes (the square "barcodes"). However, I've not used it on traditional barcodes and comment on that. It's free, so give it a try!

• Sunil

Actually reason for asking this question , is that whether it is necessary to do auto-focus , bright light and a specific direction to scan printed codes

• Oron

Sorry, my camera has fixed focus and auto-exposure, so never had to find out! If you do find out, put a post on this page to let us know the results!

4. Susendeep Dutta

Have you tried the app : - Barcode Scanner -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android&hl=en

If the above app is not working then you can use ScanLife Barcode & QR Reader -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ScanLife&hl=en

• Sunil

I have used apps for bar code scanning

• Susendeep Dutta

I've tried Barcode Scanner app on a product box and it works.

• Kannon Y

Hey Sunil, I've found that it's both the app and the technique you're using that make the difference when scanning bar codes on product UPCs. There are four things that make scanning easier or harder:

First, bright light can actually cause glare, which interferes with the app's ability to scan. If the lighting is not just right, the app won't work.

Second, the distance from the camera to the UPC code seems to make a big difference. You have to find the exact right length at which the camera will scan the code. It takes a lot of practice.

Third, try to stabilize both the thing you're scanning and the camera. Even small amounts of shaking will interfere with scanning a bar code.

Fourth, you need the right app. I second Barcode Scanner as being both simple and effective. However, Redlaser is worth noting:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ebay.redlaser&feature=search_result

• Sunil

Very good and sincere answer

• Sunil

Thanks for links

• Sunil

How to know if camera has autofocus or not , in Android 2.3 ( Micromax A75)