Where can I download YUV8 codecs for Windows?
Question by Anonymous /

I have videos from 90’s recorded on Alaris QuickVideo capture using YUV8 codecs. Anyone got them?

Sorry to be blunt and in your face but after YEARS of searching, I’m tired and just want to see my old videos resuscitated. Everyone is quick to say “get this codec pack (from some uber unsafe download site)” that never has the old codecs included because they are hard to find, or I wouldn’t be here searching and asking, or “download this new player it plays everything” or “convert it to something else”, apparently not realizing that neither of these solutions work without the codec we need being installed. So,with that said (and hopefully read before you try to answer this), what ‘we’ (all the people searching for codecs to videos created in the past) need is THE codec/codecs/websitethathassaidcodecs we ask for, and not your best guess solution. So, if you can’t put up the files/location of files we need, then please keep your useless drivel to yourself.

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

…apparently you didn’t read my question through.

Yes Oron J, Many of us have been to Alaris with no success. They no longer support the card or software, and can’t/won’t/refuse to rewrite it to work in newer versions of windows. So a new theory below…

Yes Hovsep A, we have tried converters and they will not work without the codec. They have to be able to decode it to recode it. Geez.

So i have done more extensive research, and theory has been conceived that a win95 machine is required to play the files if we could find them. Sounds logical, since that is where/when it was created. I don’t have a spare pc around to run 95, so the updated questions are : Can win95 codecs/media player be installed in vista/7/8? Can 95 be run on ntfs or in a shell? more research…

• Bruce E

You don’t need a spare PC. If you have Win7 Pro, Enterprise or Ultimate, you can use the Virtual PC installed with XP Mode to run Win95 on your existing system. For all other versions of Vista/7, you can download the latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC to do the same thing without all of the integration features. You can also use Oracle’s VirtualBox or VMware to accomplish the same task. If you only need it to be able to install the old codecs, using a separate box for it is overkill. Just run it in a vitual machine, do your conversions, and you can then delete the VM if it will no longer be used.

In addition to Oron J, maybe you need software like sony vegas, adobe premier…

AviSynth ???
    Convert RAW YUV File to AVI with AVISynth and VirtualDubMod

YUV Convert ???

YUVTools 3.0.892

Encode YUV to AVI files

OJOsoft Total Video Converter
    Convert YUV to AVI

• Oron J

I’m afraid I don’t have a direct answer to your question (YUV8 is basically like saying “8 bit video in YUV colour space”, rather than being a specific format), but from what I can see Alaris are still making software. Contact them and ask!