Where can I buy a device that creates a WiFi network without repetitively having to pay for connecting to it?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda March 21, 2013

I had recently received a NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter in the mail from a recent purchase I had made, mistaking it for something that I had initially thought it was.

I thought the device was some sort of machine that served as a hotspot that does not require repetitive payments to be in service. I thought the device established a WiFi network that other devices could connect to that, unlike other portable Internet hotspots, the user did not have to pay repetitively (every month, year, etc.) for it to serve its function.

Upon attempting to use it the way I thought it should be used, I am now convinced that I was wrong. Now I turn to MakeUseOf in search of answers.

I am looking for a portable device that can create a high-speed WiFi network that I don’t have to pay for repetitively. I don’t want to have to pay for Internet every month, because I think that would be silly and I prefer to pay for things once and get them out of the way. If anyone could answer this question that would be great!

1. Rajesh S

there is no device that give u free internet , i think u are using internet for the first time in your generation or what ..
    if u wana to have internet u got to pay to u'r ISP or hack in to neighbour Wfi or some thing like that.... :/

As others have said, it ain't going to work! You need to pay for phone, electricity, water, gas and anything else which is supplied to you every month, and you need to pay for internet access as well. I've never heard of a company offering a lifetime connection to the internet for a one-off payment, and can't see who one could make it work. The ISPs (Internet Service Providers) need to pay too, not just for equipment and staff, but for *their * connection* to the internet.

3. Carlos Remonza

There is no free service. What you can do is to find the cheaper rate thats available from different ISP or based on how you intend to use. It's only free if the network you have is your own local network which confine to your own network. Once you try to connect to the internet, you have need ISP for you to connect. ISP provide you that service (hence the name: Internet Service Provider) to connect to the internet and they will charge an amount of fees to use their service.

If everyone wanting to use free internet or pay the fee for just one time, then the technology wouldn't evolve. we would still be using the 56k modem for all i know.

4. SaapeXD MoHods

Never heard of an ISP providing Internet for only one time payment! Its either charged by internet usage or has a fixed bill amount with limited speeds for unlimited bandwidth. (monthly). In the End You get what you pay for! If you want to get free Internet, you would either have to steal wifi from your neighbour , etc...

There is nothing silly about having to pay for internet every month (repetitively) , its just like the electricity bill / water bill! You get them every month.

I am pretty sure the payment for the Device (NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter) is only one time payment. However to access the internet with it, you would heave to pay to your ISP. THats all there is to it! Hope this helps.

Sorry, you're out of luck on this one. I don't know of any service provider that will set you up with a wireless hotspot and allow free access to their network. If you want free WiFi internet, you need to start going to places that offer their customers free WiFi. In the US that would be (non-exclusive list): McDonald's and other restaraunts, many public libraries, some hospitals, some municipal buildings, very few apartment complexes (if they offer it, many use secure networks for residents only), some hotels/motels, some post offices, etc. You might just want to start driving around town with a mobile device looking for usecured networks, just make sure the owner really did leave it open for anyone to use before doing anything with what you find.

6. Tina Sieber

Cristián,

I'm not sure I understand your question. You do know that people typically have to pay for Internet. You can buy a WiFi router and own it (no monthly charges), but it won't help you connect to the Internet, unless you pay for Internet access. Or are you asking something completely different?

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

I want a device that can create a Wi-Fi network that I don't have to pay for every month.

If you don't like to pay for every moth,try getting yearly plan if available.

You can get a free Wi-Fi only if some companies like Nokia,Google offers them for free for a limited period in some place for special events.

In other cases,you won't be getting very high speeds in public cafes,restaurants etc..