Where are passwords stored on iOS devices?

Chris Kelly February 3, 2013

Where are passwords stored on an iOS device, and is there a way to retrieve them?

1. Rod Lunos

if you are looking for the root password you will have to have a jailbroken ipad,iphone and install from Cydia a package called Mobile Terminal. On all IOS devices, the password is "alpine" you have to type in ther mobile terminal app su root then type passwrd then type alpine and hit return, then put in your new password hit return and type in the new password again and you have changed youe ssh password

3. Chris Kelly

Wow looks like alot of work to get them,but it's kinda good if ever a lost idevice I supose. And at least there is a way. Thanks much for the replies.

4. Aska Nag

Hi! I think that this is possible, but it is not quite legal.

5. Jan Fritsch

If I recall correctly they are stored encrypted in a keychain database based on sqlite in some system subfolder. I'm not sure where and if you can gain access to that storage without jailbreaking first (DiskAid and co. didn't reveal it).

I'm not sure you how you retrieve them directly from the phone but there are tools to retrieve and encrypt them from an backup or image e.g. the Elcomsoft iOS forensics tools.