What’s your opinion of the Maxthon and Lunascape browsers?

Lisa Santika Onggrid March 29, 2013

I’m thinking to pick a new secondary browser, and it boils down to these two. Both are using multi-engines and portable, but I want to hear people’s experience first. I respect MUO readers’ opinions, so go ahead and tell me. Feature you like? Problem? Add-on compatibility? Memory efficiency?

1. kiko976

Maxthon is a copy of all major browsers - it's nothing new for me.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Having tried it for a week, I kinda like it. Sure, I have to fall back to PaleMoon every now and then, but what wins me over is the 'Reader Mode', I think. It's still poor on extensions (some are written in untranslated Chinese) but for casual browsing, I can tolerate its quirks.

2. salim benhouhou

i didn't tried lunasape before but i am using Maxthon cloud browser as a secondary browser (i am in love with firefox. sorry can't change that ! ) and i can ensure you that you are going to love maxthon .
    the only thing that is not good enough in maxthon (compared to other major browsers )
    is the lack in add-ons . there is not a lot of add-ons in the extensions center and they are not as powerful as firefox or chrome's add-ons .

3. Martin Ristovski

I prefer Maxthon over Lunascape. It has a simple UI and great syncing. Using Lunascape would be same as using Firefox.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you. I'll try Maxthon then.

Never tried Lunascape, so can't comment on it, but Maxthon seems to work very well, particularly if you use its social networking features.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Well, I don't have any social network account.

I am curious as to why it came down to these two browsers? Not that there's anything particularly wrong with either of them, just curious.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

I've tried all the major players (Firefox, Chrome, Opera) and now moving on the alternatives. I'm currently running Palemoon as my primary browser for one-week trial. Rockmelt and Flock don't attract my interest since I don't use social networking site, so all that's left in my list is Maxthon and Lunascape. Both are using multiple engines, and touting different advantages. Maxthon promises speed. Lunascape offers compatibility with Firefox addons. That's it, I think.

• Alan Wade

A person after my own heart Lisa, I change my browser quite often just to test the water. Have you tried WaterFox? That is fast.

6. Faishal Akbar

Using Lunascape is like Using 3 Browsers. Because it have gecko, trident, and WebKit . So, iff you developers you like to use this to test your web in 3 Different Browsers in 1 Browser.

About Maxthon, I Never try it before, but i heard it uses Webkit too. Like Chrome. so, may Maxthon will be same as google chrome on load page. but maxthon much better than chrome

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you for the response. I don't like Chrome because it's resource-hungry, but I'm interested in Webkit so I think I'll give Maxthon a go.

If you choose Lunascape,it uses Trident and Gecko engine.So,basically you would be using another form of Firefox which you are currently using.

Now,if you choose Maxthon,then it would be better choice as it uses Webkit engine and you would get different experience.It's better to have variety than to have similar products under different names.

8. Ashwin Ramesh

For me it has always been Maxthon. Its got a somple UI and some great additional features. It claims to be 200% faster than Chrome. It sure is faster than chrome, but surely not 200% faster ;)

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you for your comment. I'm curious. Many has said Maxthon is speedy, so I think I'll try it.