What’s the easy way to add hyperlinks to PDF documents?

Joseph Videtto February 2, 2013

I download research papers, usually in .pdf format – typically not editable. I’d like to add my own hyperlinks to the stored .pdfs that will take me from a section in one paper (.pdf doc) to a section in another, or maybe even multiple sections in other docs.

What tool allows the most convenient way to do this ?

I will say in advance that I once tried story many .pdfs in OneNote, and found it very slow and cumbersome. Perhaps the app has improved in this area. But I’m talking about potentially 100s of pdfs, please keep that requirement in mind.

1. Ahmed Musani

Use adobe acrobat professional pro. download the trial. free for 30 days.

Joe, You can certainly do this in Acrobat (expensive!) and in other PDF editors, if all you want is an INTERNAL bookmark (i.e. a list of places within the PDF which you can jump to easily), then I think the easiest way to do this is in Foxit Reader. Foxit is an Adobe Reader-like program (and free), and all you need to do is:
    Open the PDF
    Click on the "Manage Bookmarks" icon on the left
    Highlight the text you want to bookmark
    Click the "new bookmark" button (icon of page with a +),
    change the name of the bookmark to taste.
    That's it!

3. Switchblade Rebirth

If you have office 2013, it's possible to insert PDF's directly in word 2013

Creating HyperLinks in a PDF

5. Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

There may be other easier ways but what I do in Adobe Acrobat 11 is really simple. Yesterday I was writing a research paper in Word and wanted my professor to refer to an earlier paper I had written as a pdf. I opened the PDF paper, then went back to my word doc and clicked on Insert Hyperlink. I then went to the PDF and clicked on
    tools (on the right side of the screen). There is an option to create a link.

• Oron Joffe

Here you are referring to an entire PDF (a document) from a Word file. Joe is asking for a way to add a "bookmark" within a PDF to a specific location in the same PDF.

6. Alexandra Momo

I recommend you to install PDF x-Change Viewer, it is a good alternative to Adobe. Adobe is really painful to use if you don't want to register or pay some fee to get the full version of their product. The free version of PDF Viewer let you modify almost anything in a PDF. Yes, you can open it, modify the text exactly like word and save it back like a pdf. To answer your question, with PDF Viewer:

1) Open the document
    2) Select the Selection Tool's icon (looks like a T near the hand in the toolbar)
    3) Select the text part that you want as a link
    4) Right click on your text and select the option "Add a link"
    5) Once the window pop up, set the look of you link
    6) In the Action tab, you can click on "Add..." and then choose the type of link you want to have.

Here's the link for download if you want to see more of the product:

According to their website, this functionality is not available in the free version, you must use their (paid) Pro version instead.

Here is a detailed explanation on to do that: