What’s the difference between Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Diane D November 24, 2013

I am going to buy an All-in One but don’t know which OS would have least amount of problems.

1. damascene

Windows 8 is the more powerfull than Windows 7.

• Diane D

Thanks, damascene, good to know.

2. Alan W

Windows 8.1 is a bit of a learning curve but well worth it! There are numorous 3rd party apps to give it the Windows 7 "feel" if you dont like 8.1

3. dragonmouth

Unless you get a refurbished or a used PC, it will come with either Win 8 or Win 8.1 pre-installed. Win 7 is no longer being installed by default on new computers, only by special request.

• Diane D

Hey, dragonmouth, I AM looking at a refurb All-In-One and after all you guy's excellent advice will hold out for an 8.1.

Unless you have a specific reason to go with Windows 7, go with 8.1. It's not that I like it (I don't), but it is the latest, and any development effort, both by Microsoft and by third parties, will go into developing software for 8.1. Also, if you are getting and all in one, you may well want to use the touch interface which is only properly supported by Windows 8/8.1.

• Bruce E

Touch interface is also available under Win 7. It just isn't as refined as what is in Win 8/8.1 (no multi-touch, etc) but it works well for many devices.

• Diane D

Thanks, Oron and Bruce. I am avoiding "touch"for now.

If you are going to get an All-In-One,then get aware of the fact that it can be nightmare to use touch screen monitor.You might get Windows 8.1 preinstalled if you're getting the latest one.

Have a look at the below article to help you decide -

What You Need to Know About Buying Touch-Enabled Windows 8.1 PCs

• Diane D

Actually, Susendeep, I am going to get an All-In-One and have already decided to avoid a touch screen because I don't see the need and I don't want to be cleaning the screen all the time. (I eat meals at my computer.) Thanks a lot.

6. DalSan M

Aside from the tiled interface, ribbons, charms, and hidden options that may be confusing to use at first, the API's (application program interfaces) used for installing and using applications are different in Windows 8. Generally, regular users would not notice the different API's used, but some older games, especially made for Windows Vista and earlier, may not install properly or may need work-arounds to make them install and run. For the most part, though, this issue doesn't show up for general users.

• Diane D

Thanks, DalSan. Good to know.

I would go with the latest one Windows 8.1, period.
    To the best of my knowledge Microsoft will continue to release frequent version updates to Windows so Windows 7 will be considered "too old" rather soon.

One example for that would be Direct 11.1 and later which is only supported on Windows 8 and up. You will see the same drop of support for other frameworks too.

This may not effect you within the next 1-2 years but beyond that you might be forced to upgrade.

• Diane D

I'm going with Windows 8. You guys have helped a lot. Thanks.

Windows 8 has a desktop Mode and A Metro Mode, you can switch from one interface to another easily, for instance the Charms Menu. In order to use Metro Applications you have to use Windows store so that to be able launch in Metro interface.

Well Windows 8 is current the latest 8.1 so you expect that problems encountered in Windows 7 fixed in Windows 8 and 8.1. If you are stuck in Windows 8 because OS do not work any more then you can use reset or refresh feature which do not exist in Windows 7 is like laptop factory rest option.

• Diane D

Thank you, Hovsep. Your knowledge is appreciated.

For a new machine, either should work equally well. The biggest difference between them is the Modern interface on Windows 8 (aka the pile of tiles) which can take a bit of getting used to and completely replaces the Start menu. As far as the internals, Win 8 tends to boot and resume faster, it can mount ISO images natively (finally), cloud integration, the ability to sync your apps and data across multiple devices, the ribbon appears in more applictions (Windows Explorer, Paint, etc), and Task Manager has been improved to show how each process/program is impacting the system.

• Diane D

Thanks, Bruce. Excellent info.