What’s the best way to setup multi-boot with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Ubuntu?

Achyut R October 8, 2013

I just built my first computer and i want to dual boot Windows 7, Windows 8 and Ubuntu (space isn’t a restriction :). Is there a particular order i should install them in? Like install Windows first and then add Linux? Or does it not matter?

1. Vipul J

Just install each OS on a different partition. Order is irrelevant!

• Bruce E

Order is very relevant, especially when you consider what bootloader you will be using. Win 8 should be installed after Win7 to prevent difficulties with the bootloader (unless that is something fixed in Win8.1). Installing Linux last will make GRUB2 the bootloader (unless the default is changed and OP knows how to alter the Windows BCD to make it chainload Linux - or has a tool for the same).

2. Vishal S

I'd do this- Install Windows 7 first. Then create a partition in your primary hard drive and install Windows 8 to it. Finally, create a third partition and install Ubuntu to it. Use BCD Edit on Windows 7 to recognize the boot paths of Windows 8 and Ubuntu.

I agree with Hovsept. Windows 7 first, then 8, then Ubuntu. If you are not certain that you will keep the Ubuntu distro you may want to try a wubi installation first, which installs Linux onto a file in the Windows filing system, so it can be very easily uninstalled. Performance takes a small hit, but for the purposes of trying out the system, it's not an issue.

first install Windows 7 then install Windows 8 lastly Ubuntu installed on a separate partition.

Create a boot partition
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-boot-partition

5. Wilders M

Order does not matter, but I would prefer installing windows first and then linux.