What’s the best way to access the Internet immediately in an emergency?

Stefan Yas May 27, 2013

If found in an emergency and in need of immediate Internet access and the only tool available is your mobile phone with no WiFi access and no unlimited data transfer plan (which can get really expensive depending on your provider, and it is in my case) is there a way you can get online with no costs? How long would it work if there is a way? Also, I often find myself with no WiFi hotspots nearby and my laptop has no Internet access point that way. With Bluetooth built in, I can use my mobile phone (Sony Ericsson W810i) as a modem. Thanks!

1. Joses Lemmuela

Based on your description of "emergency", and with the premise that you don't want to pay much for data, you don't want to buy the tools to prepare for the emergency(including a new phone), and you just want "Long-term free internet, anywhere, anytime," there probably isn't. Legally, anyway.

• Stefan Yas

It's what I was aiming for. Thanks.

2. Eian Ampoloquio

Hmmm.. what your asking for is very demanding which, i would ask myself also. :) Well.. here in our country, some network providers gives free access to facebook and twitter depends on the mobile phone you using. you just need to tweak something to get access or there's an address you need to go to. Or how about downloading Opera Mini? Have you heard about this? if your phone is capable of downloading or installing this browser you can browse the internet for FREE. I haven't tried it myself because my phone is not capable of it right now, but i heard from other people that it's good. they really can access the internet without spending anything. I hope what i said here helps..

• Stefan Yas

In my description I gave the explorers that I've been using on my phone. A s you can see, Opera Mini is listed. Yeah, I've heard about free WAP thing with Opera Mini, it's only that you have to modify some java script based on your ISP. So, I have no idea how to do that.

3. Patrick J

Also, there might not be any free internet hotspots around depending on your country. In that case, shell out some money and do what I stated above or rush towards a cafe! Maybe they provide you with a free hotspot!

• Stefan Yas

It's a solution, yeah. I actually had a situation where I was near airport and there were no buses or taxis, or any cars that would stop to take me to the airport. So, in lack of the ability to make a call to a taxi or someone to drive me there, I was in a need for Internet where there was no WiFi or similar. Thanks for the response. :)

4. Patrick J

Well, the best bet is to get a portable WiFi router. Most of them these days are quite inexpensive at the cost of around $6 and support 3G SIM cards. Get a suitable data plan from your cellular provider or get a separate mobile connection! Use that to conncect to the internet in emergency situations.

5. Paul Vi

Don't know where you live but can't you dial an emergency line like 911? In most countries you can call those numbers for free.

• Stefan Yas

It's not a question of life-or-death emergency, I gave a few examples in the upper replies. The question is still unresolved and it would be nice if we could focus our answers on the question at hand, not the emergency, cause it doesn't have to be one, but it's the best way to describe the situation to have "emergency" Internet access without WiFi.

• Paul Vi

Well first of all you called it an "Emergency" so how do you want us to take it?, second it looks like there's no emergency at all all you want is free internet, so I guess you have better luck searching somewhere else, and third if you want to "focus" why don't you focus on getting a job and paying for the services you need?

• Stefan Yas

An emergency is the example of the situation you would need an immediate access to the Internet, given the examples needed, my hypothesis of an emergency is coherent. "...second it looks like there’s no emergency at all all you want is free internet..." - there is an emergency (again, following the examples needed) - judging by your answer, you haven't given me any reason to think that you have even read them, even less have an argument against the actual examples of the emergencies; "...so I guess you have better luck searching somewhere else,(...)" - my question is legitimate because, apparently, the moderators of this blog find it interesting and constructive, which is the exact function of it and your lack of solution goes to show that this discussion is not contributable to finding it. Your third argument goes with no constructive critique yet again - you're superficially judging a person you don't even know judging by the assumed nature of the question which, in my opinion, is pretty original, constructive and interesting: I give several reasons: given the country's policies, network provider's offers (the discussed data plans etc.), the economy (of which you assume that I have no job with no proof implying it and no need to imply it, because even if all this had no other purpose than "free Internet" I would find it pretty useful. To make an extra analogy (just to be clear), why don't you work at the 7/11 voluntarily to pay off free WiFi spots I assume your're using?).

• Paul Vi

Blah, blah, blah, all you want is free internet and you must be unemployed if you can't afford a modest data plan.

By the way do you think asking how to hack a carrier network is interesting and constructive? all you want is free stuff and there's nothing free in this world, my advice Get a JOB! kid.

• Stefan Yas

"blah, blah, blah" is an argument? All I want is a solution to a described problem :)
      By the way, yes! Free stuff's great and actually - get out in a park, there's free WiFi. :)
      "Get a JOB! kid." - got that covered in my previous response.

6. Mike D

I have a iphone if I am out with my laptop and my web stick goes out, I just use the hot spot on my iphone my laptop pick it up and I continues to work.

• Stefan Yas

I have a mobile with no WiFi, as described in the question. Sony Ericsson W810i is the model.

7. null

Say that someone you were talking to on the phone about a relative being taken to the hospital in an emergency...you drop your phone, breaking it. You know that your relative has Facebook on their phone, so if you could just get on the internet real quick you could message them to see where your relative was being taken.

Sounds like a very strange emergency, when you need free long term internet access.

• Stefan Yas

Long term would be perfect, thanks. As of the emergency - there are a few given by myself in the previous replies, and emergencies can happen, vary and be pretty specific. This is a long term solution for every type of an emergency.

9. Rob H

"And how does one hack into one’s cellular network?"
    In most countries that is illegal. This is not a hackers bulletin board.

• Stefan Yas

It's a make use of bulletin board. I would define use as modifying to your own personal needs, so make something more useful.

Please do give us an example of an 'ermergency' that requires an instant and free access to the net, I am really curious.

• Stefan Yas

I gave it in the previous reply, here it is again - lacking a proper caller plan (which is also my case), or your bill is already too high, or your phone won't make calls due to a operating system failure, or your phone is physically damaged - e.g. the mic/speaker/a button is irreparable at that certain moment of an emergency (the answer or "make a call" button).

11. Chris Marcoe

Can you not jsut call 911? What type of emergency are we talking about? why are you needing to get on the web during an emergency as opposed to calling police/fire/medical?

• Justin Pot

I need LOLcats, stat!

Jokes aside, I agree with the consensus here: I'm not sure what OP is looking for. Pay for a data plan and it might work in an emergency, but for the most part the phone is going to be more reliable.

• Stefan Yas

I don't get what a hypothesis of an emergency has to do with the question, which is quite simple - is there a way you can get online with no costs on your mobile phone with no WiFi access for a limited or indefinite time? But, in need of a situation, imagine lacking a proper caller plan (which is also my case), or your bill is already too high, or your phone won't make calls due to a operating system failure, or your phone is physically damaged - e.g. the mic/speaker/a button is irreparable at that certain moment of an emergency (the answer or "make a call" button).

• Stefan Yas

Bit pricey for a free thing.. hmh.

13. Avinash Mali

using your same sony ericsson mobile hack into your cellular network, most of the time proxies work and you don't need to pay for the internet usage..

• Stefan Yas

And how does one hack into one's cellular network? Do you just change the proxy in the settings? And what proxy should I put instead of the original (my provider's) one? What I assume is that every provider has a special procedure of hacking due to different settings etc. Can you think of a guide or a website that explains that? Thank you!

• Avinash Mali

First of all you need to find out a cellular network provider which allows you to connect to internet connection even at nil balance. Once you are done connect likewise, and use proxies and manual DNS accordingly to access internet.
      Note: It's trial and error method, you will not be able to hack in first shot.
      Once you are in, you are forever in
      :-)

• Stefan Yas

Again, I'm not an expert, I would appreciate a few guidelines - on what principle does the trial and error work? Any tutorial on that?

14. Rob H

Not quite clear what you are hoping for.

You have a phone with no WiFi capability and GPRS/EDGE data (expensive data contract)

You have a Laptop with WiFi but where there's no WiFi signal you have to use the mobile as a modem (expensive data contract)

You don't like paying so much for data. Sounds to me as if the solution is a second SIM with a better data contract.

The only other possibilitiies I can think of are reducing your traffic. Can you keep local copies of stuff you might otherwise fetch from the internet? Could you use an image blocker when browsing the web (example https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/image-block/)?

• Stefan Yas

What I was hoping for is the exact thing I asked - free Internet access through mobile for some or indefinite time. I wasn't sure if I could get that and how and I wouldn't be asking the question if the only possible solution was getting a backup SIM card with a more adequate data transfer plan.
      And, as of your other possibility - the reducing of traffic - I think that there are data compressors that come built in with VPNs or something like that, but I don't see the use of VPN on a mobile phone of this generation (again, Sony Ericsson w810i). Thanks for your response!

In India we have a 3G Data Plan for mobile for 1GB data with 30 days validity. After the 1GB is spent, the speed then gets capped to 128kbps but though it is a slow connection, it runs for within the validity period. So it is kind of unlimited package. It costs me only US$ 3.6 per month. Can be very useful in a situation like yours of emergency call.