What’s the best voice chat app for Android?
Question by TalkingBee /

I’m searching for a *working* voice chat app for Google’s Android OS.

I tried out so many. E.g. Tango, Skype, Viper, Line, KakaoTalk and so many others but all are more than I need. Because of Android’s terrible memory management I only want the App to run when I start it.

I do *not* want a background process.
I do not want it to run automatically when I don’t need it.
I do not want it to run when I restart the phone.
Also, I do not need any text chat..
… only a 1:1 voice chat and not a “press button to send a voice message” Application.
… and a “close program” and really kill the process

• Jason Keith

have you try MobileVOIP, download it from

• Tech geek

Google Voice offers low-cost international voice calls and unlimited free text messages for a unique Google Voice phone number. An update in November adds group text messaging, offline voicemail, and “improved” text message notifications.

• Achraf Almouloudi

Background process ? you should not really have a problem if it is running that, seriously.

• Nevzat Akkaya

+1 for GTalk. All voice apps are unfortunately stays on our precious ram.

• Junil Maharjan

Skype is good, you can just log off and then when you start it you can log in automatically as well. Another one is the native google talk which is a great app for voice as well as text chat.

• Ashwin Ramesh

You could also check out Voxer Walkie-Talkie PTT and Zello Walkie Talkie. HeyTell is also a good option as Rajaa said.

Checkout an app called HeyTell on the Google Play market. Pretty neat.

[Android] Best free voice call/chat (VoIP — free “Internet phone calls”) app
    you will have GTalk running regardless of if you use it or not since it is built into Android. the net effect on battery life of using GTalk for VoIP calls is zero (when idle of course — you will use battery life when you are actively making or receiving calls).

• Ibnu Ruslan

yes, totally agree with ha14. there’s a lot of voip account that you can register with, and some of them offers you free call(buy some credit and gain 30days free call for example).