What’s the best security software that can counter a keylogger?

Mark Peters May 3, 2013

My home network consists of myself and one other. The other has control of the network and has gained access to my everything through key strokes, i believe. My privacy is no more. Email, charges on my bank accounts etc. I don’t want to go the legal route, rather i would prefer to just make it go away. Which anti programs would work best for me? AVG’s price is right, would it have decent roadblocks for this senerio?

1. sumith harshan

KeyScrambler is a good software. It is always hiding as encrypted ways, ascii code/key code of the each key in the keyboard. So hackers can't identify which key we pressed.
    I'm currently using this software.

Official Site:- http://www.qfxsoftware.com

2. George Bahry

Here's a perfect solution. You got the keylogger because you are running Windows. So, you'll need to tackle the problem from the source, SIMPLE:
    All you have to do is GET RID of Windows.
    And use Ubuntu instead (available for free at http://www.ubuntu.com/)
    You can run it from a live USB, get all your important data out of the computer into an external disk or USB (without the keylogger or anything installed on Windows even running), and then install Ubuntu and enjoy your computer fast and virus free.
    PS: Ubuntu doesn't get infeted by any viruses (or keyloggers), so you don't need to install an antivirus or even worry that a virus can infect your computer.

• dragonmouth

"Ubuntu doesn’t get infeted by any viruses (or keyloggers), "
      That you know of.

Yes, the vast majority of malware is written for Windows. That's because Windows is nearly ubiquitous and is easily exploited. Anybody with evil intent and a half way decent knowledge of programming can create malware for Windows. To create malware for Linux, one must be more knowledgeable. Yes, Linux is more secure than Windows but "more secure" does not mean "invulnerable." ANY O/S can be compromised.

• George Bahry

"ANY O/S can be compromised."
      That I know of as well.
      But how likely is he going to have someone create a keylogger that has all its dependencies satisfied then go to install it on his computer knowing his passwrod as well (as thats requires administrator previliges).
      Afterall, anybody even considering making a virus for linux is either crazy or crazy. It's open source, so vulnerabilities are fixed almost directly after they are dicovered. Plus the fact that there are many variations of Linux and users' customizations makes it even harder for the virus to function, because if it worked on Ubuntu 13.04 it might not work on 12.04 or Kubuntu or Fedora...
      However, your reply didn't state anything wrong :)

Buy an encrypted keyboard such as Microsoft Wireless 2000 Keyboard and mouse combo to thwart keyloggers..

I personally think that Zemana Antilogger will be exactly the right solution for you. It was even featured in MakeUseOf, do a search. The official website is http://www.zemana.com/ .

5. C Phillips

There are a couple of important things you can do with keyloggers. Use type and paste of any important usernames or passwords. This way you will avoid using the keyboard. Second, don't enter any important usernames or passwords into a password memory system on your browser. To do this answer no when first using any password manager and/or 'never ask this question.' This will prevent your browser from asking for or automatically inserting passwords for personal information sites like bank or credit card information. It is not convienent to have to always enter usernames and passwords but by cutting and pasting the password from a backed up word processing file everytime but it is the safest way. I would also recommend using a password 'safe' program such as 'keypass' or 'keypassx' to store your passwords. You can copy and paste from such a program.

• suneo nobi

Agree with you!!!

6. Chiranthaka Jayakody

Well most of the Key logger software are running in stealth mode and if you want to get secure from them don't worry use a good virus guard and update it with latest virus definitions. When you have installed a virus guard it is hard to install a key logger and therefore do not worry about it. To remotely install a key logger the remote laptop's or PC's administrator password is essential and remember that never ever give your password to anyone even he or she is a friend!

By the way I am using Mipko Personnel Monitor and its just not a Key logger and it is better than a key logger!

For anyone to install a keylogger, they must have had access to your machine. So, as Oron says what ever you do they will be able to counter it if they can still gain access. Go to the police, it isnt something to be nice about!

8. pantelis

Just check the running processes for anything suspicious.

AVG is fine, and another good product is AVAST, but if you had a keylogger installed on your computer, you *must* tackle this properly. Anyone who has the audacity to install a keylogger on your computer and use the information maliciously would have no trouble at all disabling your AV, installing a hardware keylogger or snoop on you in another way (go through your paper records when you're not home?). I don't know if the best way is to go to the police or to simply have a conversation, but I am certain that turning the other cheek and adding just a little more security will not deter the intruder, and will possibly challenge them to go further.

you could use another layer of protection with anti-keyloggers check the following article
    Don’t Fall Victim to Keyloggers: Use These Important Anti-Keylogger Tools
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/dont-fall-victim-to-keyloggers-use-these-important-anti-keylogger-tools/