What’s the best place to get website hosting and a virtual private server?

Patrick J June 8, 2013

Well, I have realized that no one’s going to offer a free VPS (//www.makeuseof.com/answers/where-can-i-find-free-vps-hosting) so easily, so I am looking for a one stop for VPS and website hosting. My requirements are as follows:

1. I am looking for a flexible and affordable hosting, which allows me to upgrade anytime.
2. My target audience is less than 10k but would be media-intensive, so I need more bandwidth and disk space while not much processing power and RAM (~1.2 GHz and 1GB RAM will suffice, for VPS).
3. As for upgrading, I am also looking for a service which allows me to upgrade specific feature (e.g. only bandwidth)
4. I am looking only for Linux images and would prefer Debian and/or Ubuntu.
5. I would rather prefer more email addresses, database and websites than the usually advertised “unlimited” stuff (most of the hosts sucks due to providing only ~5 emails/DB)
6. Also, I would prefer the ones which is hosted out of US and has great performance and uptime.

Thanks in advance.

1. Sonesh Lakhani

You can go with bluehost or hostgator

• Patrick J

Please elaborate.

2. Patrick Jackson

Well, please do mention if there is any good webhost accepting bitcoins as well.

3. ANKUR T

Dreamhost.com:
    For those looking for a low-cost alternative to GoDaddy, Dreamhost is a great solution and is optimized for those who primarily use hosting to blog using WordPress. Various levels of service are available, including dedicated servers for those at the enterprise level.
    5 Reasons You Should Leave GoDaddy (And How)
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/09/10/5-reasons-you-should-leave-godaddy-and-how/

4. ANKUR T

Dreamhost.com:

5. Mohit Kumar

Don't go for godaddy.

6. Leland Whitlock

At work over the last 1.5 years we have tried many before settling on DreamHost where we have VPS and the specs were very modular when we signed up. They made it easy to pay a bit more for better specs as needed. They do provide unlimited emails with the account. You have to pay for the databases but it was not too much; as with the VPS it was provisioned in chunks so you only paid for what was needed. Overall I have been impressed with the service thus far about 1 year in. I have had to contact tech support a couple times and they were quick and helpful in finding a solution. While I have had other services over the years DreamHost has been one of the better ones especially in provisioning VPS service.

• Patrick J

Well, I am quite happy to know that they provide 'unlimited' bandwidth and disk space. I hope that it is true for me. Perhaps, I would miss the options for more VM images.

• Patrick J

No GoDaddy, please. Also, I would prefer the ones not hosted in the US, especially after the Prism thing!