What’s the best phone OS: Android, iOS or Windows Phone?

Gianna Marie L July 1, 2013

Tell me about the differences and similarities of those i mentioned above.

1. Usman M

There are three different categories to all these phone OSs

->. iOS
    If you like to keep a phone with long battery, awesome display and you like to install more and more apps, go for iOS. think "Grace" and iPhone shall popup in your mind. There is no question that Apple has a great phone but beware! iOS will not let you customize a lot of its aspects and implement those which the company thinks is best for you.

->. Android
    Think "Creative", android lets you customize itself so much that if you'll find if 100 of your friends use android, each will have different style and theme. Plus, it has loads of apps to help you keep busy when you want.

->. Windows Phone 8
    Think "A Class Apart". Windows phone has an interface that is both different and refreshing than iOS or Android. it has some learning curve if you use other OS as the tiles get some time to get used to. once you have played it for long enough you'll see you won't have to open apps to see their status! you get Office so you can also work on it. Plus if you use a Windows PC, and run Windows 8, you will do it injustice for not buying a Windows Phone.

2. J K W

I will begin with talking about each platform on there own.

Android: Started by google this is the most free form open platform. It also has the most choices and number of active devices. Android has an abundance of customization yet can be unreliable and people using android are scattered throughout the various versions and skins/interfaces. Android historically only works well on the newest devices but it has matured. So this means in recent years that cheaper phones have more acceptable performance. Android is the best choice for those who are tech savvy and want lots of choice in the way their phone looks and operates.

iOS: Apple's offering is bestowed with the honour of starting this generation of smartphones. Its familiarity is because of its previous incumbancy and marketing that has raised it to a cult like following. iOS seems simple but has no power features of its own. It has a lack of choice in devices and lacks many big draw cards like price, performance, removable battery, expandable memory. Typing is an un-enjoyable experience prediction works stupidly and selecting text fails on all fronts. Safari's touch targets make it nearly unusable to surf (desktop) facebook (on an iPad mini). The iPhone has few buttons and understanding what settings do is done the best out of the three. The only redeeming feature is the rage of apps and media.

WP8 (windows phone 8): Windows phone 8 is the youngest platform which has roots in WP7, windows mobile and Windows on the desktop. It tries to sit in the goldilocks zone out of the platforms by trying to be simple and uncomplicated with clear directions when you may be lost. Since it is made by microsoft it has clout in the way of appealing to the enterprise market. It has a reasonable range of products yet is dominated by Nokia and there undeniable quality and innovation. The platform does lack the number of apps of android or iOS. All windows phones have similar specifications due to microsofts mandate and ensures quality among all handsets while also allow for instant familiarity between devices. Using WP8 is fluid and simple with a lot of power features straight out of the box. It best for new smartphone owners or those moving away from iOS.

I perceive that apple and iOs has nothing going for it. I am a strong believer of Windows phone 8 and Android. I have tried to right this in an unbiased manner but my personal opinion is mainly that Nokia, Sony and HTC need to survive. Samsung and apple are now a blight. Samsung is unimaginative and childish; there products are cheap trash. Apple is just a stuck up confused entity that have lost touch. I own a windows phone 7 phone currently and for 3 years from 2009 I exclusively used iOS and continue to use it on an ipad mini and I am living with two samsung galaxy owners presently. I say WP8 is the best because it is always fast, beautiful and simple no matter what phone you get.

3. Dominic C

What are you using your phone for mostly? Each has their pros and cons. Even in between the commonly debated IOS, Android. Let's say I need to deal with 500-1000 Emails a day. Android email apps mostly do not have server filter thus would spam your email folder unlike IOS. However I do love the fact that Androids do come in all shape and sizes, larger screen allows better experience in gaming as well as watching movies.

4. Sheel S

It completely depends on the user for which is better. I have both Android and iPhone and per my opinion Android is more user-friendly. It is kind of flexible than the iPhone in terms of features.

5. Paul

What is best depends on the user. If you use phone as a phone, then iOS will be best for you. Windows phone also do not allow for lot of customization.

If you are an user who like to tweak his phone, then android is the one for you.

Depends
    Windows Phone 8 is good choice for Windows PC users specially for those using outlook, play Xbox...

android market is bigger than windows mobile market, if you plat games and have fun then Go for Android, now for business i think Windows Mobile i the right choice.

7. Jacob C

Android or iOS, recently.
    maybe a better one will come out, who knows...

8. Tim Brookes

iOS, obviously!

On a serious note: The problem we have here is nobody is ever going to agree. You will have people falling over each other to discount each other's opinions, and no consensus at the end of it.

You need to personally spend some time using these systems, and also you should ask yourself what you want from your phone. iOS is great for its ease of use, robust security and app selection. It's also locked down and restrictive, but for me that's part of the security appeal. Android is a lot more "open" but that includes the threat of malware and inconsistencies between manufacturer quality, updates etc. Then again, you can modify just about every behaviour your phone has with different keyboards, launchers, even Android versions. Windows Phone is probably more iOS than it is Android, but has nowhere near the number of users or applications that either platform enjoys. It's the underdog, so to speak.

I'd always recommend iOS (iPhone), but then I'm a bit biased (I'm MakeUseOf's iOS editor). I do think for most users, an iPhone will suffice particularly if you don't care about modifying everything like you can on Android. I have also had good experiences with Apple hardware, and love my iPhone 5 (and the iPhone 4 I dropped a million times before it). I _personally_ wouldn't recommend Windows Phone because I've sided with underdogs in the past and find it eternally frustrating to always be one step behind the rest of the market. That's kinda how I see Windows Phone and can't help but feel that if there was going to be a huge surge in WinPho sales it would have happened by now.

Hope this helps :)

• Chinmay S

I agree with you. iOS is the best. I also have a iPhone 5 and i love it.

I don't think there's a clear "best". Some people like iOS. It's definitely a good system, has been in use for some time and proven itself. Generally speaking, it's sophisticated (e.g. SIRI), and has a consistent and easy-to-use interface (although arguably the latest version is less so). It has a well maintained "app store" and this is also one of its weaknesses. The system is a "closed garden". You can only get apps from Apple's App Store, and Apple filter out anything they consider risque or inappropriate. Unfortunately, their definition of "innappropriate" is inconsistent and perfectly good apps are sometimes rejected. The system is closed, so that alternative keyboards, for example, cannot be added to the system.
    Android is in many ways quite similar to iOS, but it is much more open. Google have their own app store, but there are other app stores out there and you can also install apps in other ways, including simply by copying the files from PC via USB cable. You can also "root" the system and install enhanced (or simply different) versions of Android on your phone - legally. There is a wealth of app and modifications for Android. On the downside, I think most people would agree that the system is a little less polished, the icons less snazzy and the interface not quite as consistent. The latest versions have a fairly effective voice operated search, but it is not quite as good as Siri, at least not in all areas. If you want flexibility and openness, Android is probably your best bet. If you want to be protected from viruses, hackings etc, it's probably not that great.
    I'm no expert on Windows Phone, but from what I've read, the main appeal is that it has colourful "live tiles" on the screen (just as in Windows 8) which, in addition to being used to start apps, also show you status lines, messages etc for your communication and social apps. It also has low hardware requirements which means that it will run well (theoretically) on cheaper hardware, and the batteries may last longer. The worst aspect of the system at present is that there are not many apps available for it, and in fact, not many phone models either. Since the usefulness of a smart phone is usually in its apps, this is a major drawback. Some people report that is is also very buggy, but as I said, I have no experience with it so can't tell whether this is in fact the case.