What’s the best map app for Android that can be used as a GPS?

Don Gilmore June 4, 2013

Once I get the tablet I’ll be using it mostly as a GPS for off-roading, I don’t mind paying for an APP, but I want a good one with a lot of zoom on the maps. I looked at Memory Map, seems nice but the maximum zoom level with a DeLorme map from them is just not enough detail. Have any suggestions?

Also if you put an App like this in a tablet, can you remove it to install a different APP to relieve some disc space?

1. Carmen Q
  2. Ran Kinory

I use "waze"

3. Stephen Treger

You didn't specify if you want GPS Navigation or just display of maps using GPS location. You did say off-roading, but I don't know if you need topo maps or what.
    Also whether you will be off-line or online via a data connection.

For locations where I have data (either 3G or Wi-Fi) I use Google Maps and Google Navigation on my android phone and tablet. You can also use offline Google Maps if they provide the detail for area you need.

When I don't have access to the Internet I use CoPilot Premium for offline Navigation and routing.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa

Or more recently in Europe I used MapWithMe Pro (a lite version is available for free). I tested here in the US before leaving and then downloaded the maps I would need in advance. This app had maps with very good detail, but does not offer any routing or navigation. The Pro version allows searching and setting pins on the map to aid in figuring out where you are and want to go.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

The backcountryGPS app (mentioned above) sounds promising for hiking, backpacking, and generally being off roads and paths and i might give it a try as well.

4. PaulandKandice Brown

I like Google Maps (Navigation) the best.

If you install any app,you can remove that app and it will free up disk space.

• Doc

Normally you can't remove system maps (the ones that come with the device) without rooting or jailbreaking the device. I'm not sure which devices come preloaded with Google Maps, but I'm sure there are a few.

6. Leland Whitlock
  7. 1hegame

Google Maps.

8. Rob H

As you say you looked at Memory Map but with DeLorme maps it indicates you're not in UK where Memory Map use Ordnance Survey mapping. And that highights the real problem. You need good base maps. UK is very fortunate in having the entire country mapped by OS at 1:25,000 (roughly 2.5 inches to the mile) and a remarkable level of detail.

I'd suggest that you look for GPS software that can accept different base maps like OpenStreetMap with community sourced data plus Google mapping - the maps may be of limited use off-road but the satellite views can be helpful.
    Bear in mind that many of the maps are on the internet and you will be going places where you'll not get a signal so you need to be able to download the areas you need.
    It may be that you can plan the route online with detail maps but rely on less detail for tha actual trip. (It's very common for online maps to export a route file and for GPS systems to be able to import one - the most universal GPS file format is .gpx, be careful you don't get stuck with something that only uses a proprietary file format) .

You may find some off-road routes for your area here http://www.gpsies.com (and if not you might contribute some).

It also depends how you want to use the system - will you use it to plan routes before you go or to record the route you actually take for future reference (and finding your way back to where you started!).

As regards uninstalling apps - it's not a problem.