What’s the best graphics card for my PC?

night fly March 18, 2013

I have a desktop with an Intel Core i3 processor, Intel DH61HO motherboard, 5GB DDR3 RAM and 500GB hard drive. Given these specs, what is the best hard drive I can choose?

1. Imesh Chandrasiri

try a 660ti. it would suit your needs! or else, let me know your budget and I'll give you more specific cards!

2. Pratish Rao

dude hav a grt poer in ur PC go for any GTX series.... its cool n power efficent n best deliverence of graphics....
    GTX 660 (Ti)
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti

GTX 670
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-670

As Oron has already asked - Hard disc or graphics card?

I assume its just a typo and you meant graphics card so the real question is - What budget do you have?
    There are so many cards out there but there is no point recommending something that is over-budget.

4. Joel Thomas

Geforce GTX 650 or 600 would a wise choice as both of them are high end Graphics card
    but there is no point for going for a high end card as you only have i3 processor upgrade to i7 and then we can talk

5. Chinmay Sarupria
  6. Nitesh Badala

if you want for gaming purpose i recommend you for nvidia series or if you want for general purpose (for hd video play, read high resolution files then go through the ati technologies).

7. Prashant Mirjankar

Go for GTX 560ti or else HD 6950 better for i3 you have and will work even lot better when you'll upgrade your processor

more expensive more are efficient

you have here some suggestions with budget limit
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

As Dalsan suggested,you must also had mentioned power supply(PSU) wattage.If your PSU wattage is less than 500 W,then you can get AMD HD 7750.If lager than 500 W,then 7770 GHZ edition from Asus is recommended as it has good air circulation and dust prevention design.

10. DalSan M

The motherboard and power supply information is what is needed and most important when considering a graphics accelerator card. Assuming that the motherboard would have at least one PCI-E x16 2.x slot, then a good Nvidia GT or GTX series card would be able to be used. GT640 (GTX or would be better, but the TI series would be even better) would suit most needs, but the 670 or 680 series should be able to be used as well (the higher the number, the better). However, the minimum recommended power supply wattage should be no less than 500W, but it's best if you have 650W or higher. GeForce is a good company with decent reviews as far as the Nvidia GPU's go. ATI (now AMD) offers pretty good graphics accelerator card as well. I would go with a 7550 or higher series card. The best GPU memory type to look for is GDDR5 or higher, but GDDR3 would work okay as well. 1GB memory size should be minimum for best longevity of the card as it is an investment that should not have to be replaced very often (similar to the CPU). These graphics cards can be transferred to newer computers until it no longer suits your needs. I would not skimp on this purchase as much as possible.

By the way, it really depends on what you would use the graphics card for that would make for a better opinion on the graphics cards. Video editing uses the graphics cards differently than any games that are or coming out.

11. Jan Fritsch

Your motherboard has a PCI-Express 3.0 (x16) slot which means it is compatible with any PCI-Express card out on the market right now.

Since the Core i3 is on the lower-end in terms of processing power I don't think it makes sense buying a high-end graphics card because performance for high demanding application will mostly be limited by the Core i3. A good match in my opinion would be a Geforce GTX 650/660 or maybe an ATI HD 7850.

But most importantly you should find out the stats of your power supply. A graphics card will draw a big amount of power ~ mostly higher than the rest of the entire system. Also you don't really want to (should not) run your power supply at it's maximum because it will produce a lot of heat and shorten it's lifespan. Usually you want to operate it between 50%-70% utilization as this where the PSU is most efficient.

Hard disc or graphics card?