What’s the best combination of launcher apps for Windows 7?

ryu S December 10, 2012

I want to make my Windows 7 usage simple.
The default taskbar andĀ start menuĀ is okay, but I wanted to know if I could make it simpler.
The programs I am considering are the default start menu, the default taskbar, Rocket Dock, and Launchy.
What combinations have you found the most simple?
(I want to still use the taskbar)

1. Lisa Santika Onggrid

I like Rocketdock(+Stacks plugin). If you still need something else combine with Launchy

2. Ramsha Almas

Launchy is always simple, I've found, and way faster than searching using the start bar! It also learns your shortcuts like mw for microsoft word, and if you need specific programs that are either portable, or not directly accessible--maybe even functions of a program such as Incognito Mode in Chrome, then you can just plunk those, or shortcuts in a folder and make sure Launchy has it in its index. I also use a couple of add-ons for Launchy to make it faster, and able to do things I can't with other launchers such as shut down commands, opening websites specifically, etc. I'd definitely just go with Launchy to start and see what you need from there to augment your usage.

3. Etech Etech

I like the taskbar. You can use Win+1, 2, 3 etc. to open the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. application in the taskbar. You can also use alt-tab and/or Win-tab to switch between open applications.

• musicphann

I agree. Between shortcuts for the Taskbar and the built in Windows Start Menu search I haven't really found a scenario where an application launcher can do any better than the defaults.

4. luis donis

objecdock from stardock is cool

5. Mihovil Pletikos

don't use launcher apps.... it will just make your computer slower...

Winstep is very good!
    http://www.winstep.net/
    They still have a free version I think.

7. pp potana

try object dock...you can even check stardock software's which are very helpful to customize windows.

8. Adriel Tan

It really is up to personal preference, I use the default one and I find it perfectly fine. Rocket Dock has not been updated in a while with no 64-bit version available. Launchy is great, but i find the one built in to windows (click start and just start typing) works fine enough.

Launchy is a bit buggy for not unable to launch all installed programs.I would suggest you to pin most important programs,documents and other stuffs in start menu,web browsers,media player in quick launch bar(as default),or any other most frequently accessed program and then use Rocket dock as launching anything from it is a one click.

have look at Executor
    http://executor.dk/

sliderdock
    http://sliderdock.wikidot.com/
    allows you to easily add program shortcuts, files, and folders to each circular dock, or ring, by dragging and dropping.

WinLaunch
    http://mrc0rrupted.deviantart.com/art/WinLaunch-0-4-6-0-Mac-Launchpad-for-windows-277763668?
    This is Launchpad(Quickstarter) taken from Mac OS X Lion and implemented for Windows.

11. Thehunting Lion

Launchy is handy but is better if you are more comfortable using keyboard than mouse. And rocketdock as everyone knows is good ( if u use dell machine 'dell dock' would also look and work even better )

• Thehunting Lion

Can also give 'star dock' a try instead of rocket dock.

12. Douglas Mutay

You can use Rocket Dock. it's easily customizable and you can have quick access to what you need and remove what it's unnecessary. Plus, you have the choice of the appearance of your dock...

13. Giggity Goebbels

Default ones are better