What’s the best alternative to SteadyState?

Nick Markov March 22, 2013

I just found Reboot Restore RX from a few collegues on spiceworks. I am currently testing it out, as it is being offered as freeware. It looks promising as the best alternative and replacement for SteadyState. I want to know if anyone else is testing this program out and if they know how to hide the system tray icon.

Also, if you know of any other free software that could be an alternative to SteadyState?

1. Alister Loxton

I would like to go with Faronics Deep Freeze. It is really a good alternative for windows steadystate. We are using it in our computer lab. It also working fine with my Mac system. I can easily manage the Apple updates. Go for it.

2. Michael D

Just came across as I was looking for other alternatives to Windows steadystate as well. I would not if this post is still active but I started using Reboot Restore as well. As a free alternative, it is just brilliant!. Cant ask much for a free software. I still on the testing phase of Reboot Restore Rx, so far it does great. I am also looking out for other alternatives, will let you know. Try keeping this post alive till then. :).

3. Jack Smith

Amm.. Faronics Deep Freeze is the best alternative for steadystate. as It is provide the features like central management, easy scheduling for windows updates, etc. I just got following link http://www.faronics.com/steadystate-offer/

4. Kevin S

I Know of Reboot Restore and have used it few times, its a pretty good alternative to windows steady state that is no longer available with windows 7 or 8.

5. Chinmay Sarupria
  6. Home Less

You can hide system tray icon
    Try like this

Right click on Start Bar >> Select Properties >> See in Taskbar > Notification area
    Click on customize...
    "Notification area icons" new windows will come
    if you checked "Always show icons and notifications on the taskbar"
    Uncheck it and search what you want to hide and select "Hide icons and notifications"
    Press OK done!
    If you want to check "Always show icons and notifications on the taskbar" you can

similar question here
    perhaps you can find some free alternatives