What’s a preferably free or low cost alternative for Deep Freeze?

January 21, 2014

I’m with the Mesa school district and we used Deep Freeze for over 5 years.

I noticed a few helpful post on Deep Freeze so I though to put the question out here. Recently, my boss says that Deep Freeze pricing has increased and he does not like the recurring support costs.

We are looking for a simple replacement for Deep Freeze that works kind of like Microsoft’s Steadystate used to. Free is obviously the best choice, but any lower cost image rebuild on restart would be great as well.

1. Scott T

We all love the freebies! I did use Reboot Restore Rx v1.0 and it worked wonderful. Obviously it was not feasible to be used on school districts as public users(students) are able to turn off the restore protection.

@Tim J- quite surprised they actually decided to develop another version of Reboot Restore Rx implementing administrator privileges which definitely changes things. I was least expecting this as it was a freeware.

There is a good thread on this here: http://community.horizondatasys.com/forum/reboot-restore-rx/1246-looking-for-an-alternative-for-deep-freeze-or-steadystate-preferably-free-or-cheaper

Hopefully, the developers stick to developing some more on this freeware ( I know, I am being greedy now :P). Possibly some kind of notifications when the protection is on/off restore function.

There's Reboot Restore Rx . I've never used it myself, but have heard that it's quite good, and it is free!

• Bruce E

It looks like anyone can access and change the settings for this one. (I'll be downloading & installing this to verify as well as check the overall operation and performance.) If that is truly the case, the same company's Drive Vaccine (a paid program) would be a better option. It requires a username/password to access and change the settings, it allows file and folder exemptions, it can still allow Windows and antivirus updates transparently, baselines can be rolled back if necessary, restores can be performed at logout, reboot, or scheduled times. They also offer educational pricing (5-24 seats @ $22/seat, up to 2500-4999 seats @ $8/seat).

• Tim J

Hey Bruce thats some great information however I use Reboot Restore Rx and just wanted to jump in and mention they released Reboot Restore Rx version 2.0 that now doesn't let any user enable or disable protection, only the administrator can do this now, makes it alot more worth it to use! But like you said Drive Vaccine has more options and Admin panels if you need to schedule restores etc.

Here is the release for Reboot Restore Rx 2.0 if anyone is interested: http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=18