What’s harder – to make money writing an Apple app, or to make money writing a song?

Joseph Videtto December 9, 2012

I guess supply and demand rules – and there are so many people doing both of the above. I wonder how anyone makes money doing either, other than the .0000000000000000001% at the top – either through persistence, talent, or luck.

I know everyone will say you have to do what you to because you love it – and let’s say that’s the case for me. But I do have a day job in an entirely different passion. What are some tips you might have for someone who dreams to actually make some side money doing either of these things that they love – writing apps, or writing songs, if you’re not a full-time programmer or artist ?

1. Ahmed Musani

depends on what you are good in. its a matter of skill.

2. Joseph Videtto

I guess what maybe I should have asked is - how does anyone make money doing either of these things these days - when there is so much supply out there for free. Thanks for all of your comments

3. Roomy Naqvy

Fascinating question. But as Daniel pointed out, when you make an app, you are making a software for someone else's use. Though a song could climb up the charts quickly and give you easy and quick money but it is an app that will give you more lasting fame (and possibly good money too).

4. pp potana

Both are not comparable, in one you need to code and other you need to have the skill set.

Both are a game of chance and neither will be a reliable income source.
    Far better to identify a niche topic you can blog about, and make money there. ;)

• Douglas Mutay

Hahahahaha... good idea you give that worth money too :-)

I'm afraid if i write an apple app and it becomes a hit then apple will make a similar app and boot out my app and if i write a song then the music company will have most of the money. which do you prefer? sorry for the question on question.

7. josemon maliakal

it depends on the idea ..both have same probability, quality s the factor

8. Adam Campbell

It depends on how good you are at writing apps or music ;-). I think that app writing would be more lucrative more quickly because there are better means of getting your work out there i.e. Mac App Store. With music on the other hand there, to my knowledge, isn't such a good means of getting your work directly to the consumer. Hope this helps.

One thing to consider is that writing an app (or any software, really) is you are creating a tool. Once you are paid for your creation, others can use it for their own purposes.

Songs, otoh, are retained by the writer. A singer may become famous performing your creation, or it may be used in a movie soundtrack, or any other number of uses, BUT, you get royalties for every use.

A good example is Microsoft Word. Once I pay the licensing fee, I can write the greatest novel of the century using it (hopefully become rich), but Microsoft (and their programmers) don't get a penny more. There are heirs of songwriters still collecting residuals from work created long ago.

• Douglas Mutay

I like your answer :-)

10. salim benhouhou

i would write apps but that's my passion . if you love them both why don't you do them both . or write music related apps maybe .