What’s a good music manager for unknown tracks?

Dan Hilbert November 22, 2014

Hello, I read your article “4 Fantastic Tools to Manage Your Massive MP3 Collection 4 Fantastic Tools to Manage Your Massive MP3 Collection 4 Fantastic Tools to Manage Your Massive MP3 Collection Music library management can be an entirely frustrating experience, especially if you have years of unorganized music waiting to be sorted and labeled properly. Poor music library management will come back and bite you later... Read More “, but it was too old for me to ask questions. At present I have nearly 700 GB of music from all genres in my collection and use iPods for listening to it.

Of course, in the collection I have a lot of “unknown” and blank entries for songs and/or artists that need fixing. I was interested in your comments about Music Brainz Picard and Media Monkey MediaMonkey 4: An Extremely Powerful Music Management Program [Rewards] MediaMonkey 4: An Extremely Powerful Music Management Program [Rewards] I recently got my hands on a copy of MediaMonkey Gold, the premium version of the free music player, MediaMonkey. This full-featured music manager was once known as Songs-DB back when it first hit the... Read More and how they can acoustically identify and help label unknown tracks.

It sounds like Media Monkey is also a great alternative to iTunes for playing the music.

My questions:

1. Can I sync the music and manage my playlists on my iPods with Media Monkey? If not, are there any other alternatives that have the same management capabilities (volume, collections, etc.)?
  2. Upon relabeling and identifying tracks in the library – is the work automatically synchronized in iTunes; or would I have to add them back into the library as new music? Thanks for your help, I really like what I see of your community here.

1. Jan F.

I previously used MusicBrainz Picard to identify a lot of my unknown titles as well as complete tags for already named titles. It worked good for my collection with only a couple dozen of remaining unknowns and maybe a hand full of false identifications (you can review the identification before making changes). It can also sort your music on a file system level by creating folders and moving the titles in there but that's pretty much all it has to offer as far as "managing music" goes.

I do not recommend using Picard (or any other tagging software) for iTunes purchases, titles you got via iTunes. In most cases it will differ from the information the iTunes store has (e.g. release date, album for single tracks, album art, etc.). On top of that music from the iTunes store should have all the information anyway.
    After using it on your collection you will have to "refresh" your iTunes Library to read the new information from the files directly otherwise iTunes will be using the old information which is still stored in it's Library file.
    https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/iTunes_Guide

MediaMonkey can be used to manage the music on your iPod or iOS device. However, I can not tell if you can fully replace iTunes with it. Long story short, in certain situations and with certain devices you have to have iTunes installed because of the Apple Mobile device USB driver that ships with it. The MediaMonkey wiki is pretty dated (2012) on that topic.
    I would assume for iOS 8 devices you are most likely required to have the Apple USB driver and therefor iTunes installed.