What’s a free way to hide my whois information on my website?

Shah R July 16, 2014

I register some domains with Godaddy but I don’t want others to see my personal details. Is any free tool available that hides my personal information?

Godaddy are the only ones who can remove/hide this information at this point so I agree with Dani to use their whois privacy service.

However, there are downsides to whois privacy too!

It will lower the reputation of your domain and while this won't have a direct impact in the first place it can result in your site/domain being blacklisted 'faster' e.g. when violating Google SEO guidelines.

You basically lose ownership of the domain. Whichever name is in the owner contact of the whois information is considered the legal owner of the domain so you should read the terms of the privacy service (as well as the registration terms, retention times, ...) very carefully.

You cannot perform a domain transfer when the whois information is 'privatized'. Let's say you get in a fight with your domain registrar and want to switch to another one. You can't do it until they restore the original owner information.

Legal inquiries. The second a legal inquiry for your domain comes in your registrar will usually drop the whois privacy. Otherwise they would be held responsible for it.

There are different rules for different TLDs. Not all of them allow a full 'private' registration.

2. Dani B

Godaddy should offer you to hide your personal information on Whois, check it.