What’s are the differences and similarites between Tumblr, Flickr, Instagram, Picasa & AMP?

Katya S December 24, 2013

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes.

There seems to be a new photo/image collection social media app every time I look. What are the differences between Tumblr, Flickr, Picasa, We Heart It, Instagram, and similar programs?

I notice some people tend to have more than one of these accounts rather than putting everything in one account, so I assume it’s because there are major differences. How do you know which one (s) are best for you, but also what services to link together (i.e. usually every blog post ends with a link to Pinterest, add to Flickr, add to Tumblr, etc.)?

So, for example, why would I save one to Tumblr vs. to Instagram and so on? And then you add the blog factor — I follow tons of blogs, some use only one picture service, some use more than one. It just seems confusing to me to have different photos on different services when they all could be together. And it’s also become a bit overwhelming managing and keeping track of each account daily and knowing which pictures are where.

Also, on a somewhat related note, what is the best way to organize your favorite sites — shopping, tech, hobbies, etc… and the social links that come with them (i.e. You have the shop official site, then you join the newsletter, then follow the blog, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc…)? I appreciate any feedback from the community on the different ways everyone keeps track of their info.

Again, forgive any dumb questions. I appreciate any guidance/help.

Well, as you pointed out after your initial question a lot of those are not really programs but online services or platforms.

Tumblr is a microblogging platform with a social network aspect, so you can not only make posts but also like other peoples posts (or content), a "light version of wordpress" if you will?

Flickr is an image and video hosting platform. It allows you to store and share your content on the internet. It probably has more of a professional (touch) for storing your data in the cloud and is not so much focused on the social network aspect.

Picasa is primarily an image organizing program which also allows certain (limited) editing and upload to it's own online Platform along with e.g. Picasa web albums and others ~ personally I would rate it as a program with "online features"

Instagram, I believe, could be best described as Twitter focused on images and videos

I didn't have any real contact with We Heart It so I cannot comment on that one.

In most cases the purpose of using more than one of these networks is to reach a broader audience ("rise to fame"). So it's not so much about having different content on all of them but having content on all of them. In some cases the reason for having different content is duo to technical reasons, it would create too much work getting the same content on all of them, in some cases not even possible.

The ideal (goal) usually is to post e.g. a picture on Instagram or make a blog post on Tumblr and automatically have it linked/show up in your Twitter and Facebook timeline among others.

So to your question which one to use? Well, the one you are most comfortable with plus those you can easily expand to. This is of course assuming you want to reach a large audience.
    If it's just for you, your family, your friends find the one that suits your needs.

The reason why there are new networks and apps popping up every week is simple: Money.
    Have you ever payed for using Facebook? Probably not. Yet the company is worth billions of dollars. It's the same old principle "information is money". The difference is that you supply the information and content and someone else is making money with it.