What’s better for a blog – hosting through WordPress.org or self-hosting?

Sachin Kanchan0 March 10, 2013

Suppose I want to have a blog. Then I may head for WordPress.com and signup for a free blog.

Or if I am in need of something more, I might opt for a website.

So should I choose web hosting service of WordPress itself as provided in wordpress.org ; or should I choose some individual web hosting service like justhost.com?

What is the difference among the two and what choice can be favorable for me ?

{ Provided I want a simple website/blog for expressing my enthusiasm on automotive sector }

1. Chinmay Sarupria

In my opinion self-hosting is better. I know it's more complicated to build website on our own but it gives self-satisfaction that everything is created by me and only me.

2. justinpot

The really nice thing is that you can easily switch. Start at WordPress.com, see if you can stick to your blogging goals. If you ever want the flexibility offered by a self-hosted account WordPress offers easy tools for migrating. I've done it several times, and it doesn't take more than a few minutes once WordPress is set up. So don't feel like you're stuck with the free features if you choose free at first.

• Sachin Kanchan0

can i place ads or affiliation links on my free version of wordpress blog...

• justinpot

Affiliate links, yes. Ads, I'm not sure. But if you're just starting your site it's probably too early to be thinking of ads...

• Sachin Kanchan0

If I am using a free wp blog, then they do everything for me...i just have to do the content creation part...

But if I choose to upgrade to a professional plan for more features...
      ~ will i have to do everything then ?
      I mean like installing wordpress 3.5 software...will i have to do it myself...or wordpress will still do it ?

• justinpot

For self-hosted you're going to need to pay for hosting, then install the software yourself. Some hosts will do the installation for you, but it's recommended you do the install yourself for educational reasons.

You should really check out James' guide; it outlines everything.

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/set-up-your-blog-with-wordpress-the-ultimate-guide

i would go with a hosted site than with the wordpress. but if you do not want to spend money on this website then you are better off with the wordpress.org

There's a MUO guide to WordPress which addresses this question, amongst other things:http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/set-up-your-blog-with-wordpress-the-ultimate-guide .
    In a nutshell, hosting your own blog requires more work but gives you more control and flexibility. You can move blogs between the different types (free, hosted by WordPress and self-hosted), but if you'd just dipping you toes in the water, start with a hosted version - it's easier!

• Sachin Kanchan0

what is the difference between blogs that are ~ ~

free; hosted by wordpress & self-hosted ...

if I host a blog on wordpress , will I be able to convert that into a website later on ?

• Oron Joffe

Free - well, it's free! It is quite limited (limited themes, you can't add plug-ins etc). Free accounts have a wordpress URL.
      Hosted by WordPress - you can use your own domain (e..g http://www.myblog.com), more themes and more customisation.
      Self-hosted - you can host it on any server (at home, or on a commercial server). You download the WordPress software and install it on that server and after that you can customize it to your heart's content, add plug-ins and even change the software itself if you like.
      You can transfer the contents of the site between servers, including between hosted & self-hosted. It's all explained in the MUO guide!

• Sachin Kanchan0

thanks that helped :)

• Sachin Kanchan0

thanks a lot...that was useful .

5. wongkeewee

It would be better to host it on WordPress.com, as you will just need to maintain your blog and non of the server-side administration that comes with a self-hosted solution.

But, if sometime down in the future, should you want to host it on your own server or with a host, you can easily export your blog on WordPress.com and import it into your own site.

6. macwitty

I agree with Jan Fritsch. Just want to add: With a free wordpress.com you do not need to update the wordpress software. If you host it yourself you have to do it 6-8 times a year to get a secure blog. It is not difficult to update but it has to be done. I have seen too many blogs where the owner haven't done it and got hacked. On the other hand a free wordpress installation on wordpress.com you accept to have adds on your blog and maybe not the content you want. A little anecdote, the Swedish foreign minister used the free version and wrote about Russia and had words like "women and men", "female", etc., and then ads for dating sites with Russian women came up. He solved the problem by starting to use the paid version

7. Jan Fritsch

I would start with a hosted WordPress solution ~ probably wordpress.com since it's free, solid and popular, but feel free to use any other hosted WP provider. There are so many plugins for WP that this should fulfill pretty much all your needs for a personal blog (and more). If you do reach the point where it doesn't suite your needs anymore you can always move to a regular hosting, install WP there (or any other blogging or CMS system) and start "messing around".

• Sachin Kanchan

what if i want to create a website ?

• Jan Fritsch

If you want to create your own website you will need to get a web hosting account (free or paid) at another provider.

• muotechguy

Either way gives you "a website", and either may be suitable for your needs. You need to tell us exactly what you want to do before anyone can give you a good answer.

8. Mike Case

For just a simple website or blog, you could go either route and be perfectly content.

Personally I would recommend self-hosting and installing WordPress yourself. It's a little bit more involved, but it allows you a great deal more freedom (manually install premium themes and plugins, modify any code if necessary etc.). The cons are that you'll have to set up your own backup for it (wordpress.com hosting will do it automatically), and it's a bit more complicated.

Really it comes down to how much control/customization do you want/need?

WordPress has a pretty good comparison here:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/com-vs-org/