What’s the best password manager for my mother?

Keefe K January 27, 2014

This is for my mom, not myself! I’m satisfied with LastPass, but my mother isn’t very tech-savy or trusting of information stored online. She can never remember any of her passwords, and as you can imagine, the ones she does are used over and over again, and are very insecure. So I ht I’d ask around to find out what would be best for her. I have the following criteria that’ll need to be met for it though:
•Must be offline (she is paranoid of the internet)
•Must be easy to use
•Must be compatible with Google Chrome

And then there are a few thing I’d kinda like it to do as well:
•Generate secure passwords
•Automatically store login information
•Automatically fill in login info

I realize that this is a tall order to fill, but I ask because it’s what she wants, and the best thing I can do is ask around. Thanks for the help ahead of time! Also, please don’t respond with arguments about why she should use online password managers…I do not need convincing on that topic. I have tried to explain to her on multiple occasions of the safety systems set in place, but no points will turn her opinion.

Have a look at Pocket.It's free,simple and intuitive -

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pocket-handy-free-personal-information-safe-android-desktop-counterpart/

It also have Android app too.

2. Tim B

I use KeePass, and my girlfriend uses it, and it's free, and it works, but it's not exactly user friendly. This might be because I'm using the ported Mac version, which is still under development and thus flakey in places. It also doesn't support adding of passwords via the free iOS app, so I have to sync one-way.

The point I'm making is that KeePass is open source, free and fairly complex in areas. There are far more user-friendly services available, and they make it easier to simply login once from anywhere and access your passwords. Personally I'd recommend trying Dashlane, as it's pretty secure (afaik uses open source encryption methods), free to try and only $20 a year for the full package (which includes syncing, and as many apps for as many devices as you need).

If you're feeling a little more like flashing the cash, OnePassword is arguably the best password manager of all but it's certainly not cheap at $20 for the mobile versions and close to $50 for desktop versions. There's no subscription though, so 5 years of Dashlane = buying OnePassword outright.

3. hewiep

I have used eWallet by Ilium Software http://iliumsoft.com for years. I originally bought it for the Palm Pilot (yes, that long ago). They had a Palm & a PC version & you could sync them. Now they have a PC version, a Windows 8 version, as well as iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows Mobile & Mac OS X versions. They can all be synced and have 256k encryption. I think that it fits all of your criteria. It's not free, but I have my passwords wherever I go.

4. DopePhizh

I would say Lastpass. It has recently gotten an overhaul making it even easier than before to use. It also has support on many platforms, both OS and browser-wise. It has auto-filling features and it can save new logins automatically if you want it to. It supports exporting and importing the database and you can look up all your logins and "secure note" via the "vault" witch can be accessed from any browser without any extensions. It's free for desktops and not very expensive, if you also want mobile support. Also i believe that they only store an encrypted version of your data so that you are the only one who can access it.

• Keefe K

Yes, but remember that I said my mother is paranoid of the internet. I have tried on multiple accounts to convince her that it's safe, but she just won't listen. So I'm forced to find a solution that does not, and will not store any information, no matter in what state on the internet. It's a major pain I realize, but it's one I share with you. I however use LassPass, and enjoy their level of security of my account!

5. Iulian T

LastPass is the best for me. It is used across browser and very easy to use!

6. zer0_r00t

Dashlane! :D

7. igor

lastpass
    fo sho

8. Vinay Raghu

Keepass is the best I have ever used. It is recommended for techies and non-techies. Install keepass, a chrome extension called ChromeIPass and a keepass plugin called keepassHttp

You're all set. All your requirements duly taken care of

9. Mike Boston

Don't bother with Roboform. I bought a "lifetime" license and two years later they wanted me to pay an additional $30.00 to continue the lifetime. Screw them. I have used Last Pass for four years and have never had any problems.

10. Tom E

I also use KeePass. Relatively easy to use, although some websites don't work with KeeFox, the auto-fill-in plug-in I use on Firefox. Still, it's pretty easy to find that site in the database, copy-and-paste the username then password. I haven't tried any of the other plug-ins.

Plus, Keepass has an Android option -- a little harder to use, since it won't automatically fill-in the password info, but it does put the username and password into notification bar items, which copies to the clipboard for you.

11. Jim

I use the free version of Essentialpim . there is no auto fill but it does everything else.

12. grzz40

RoboForm is worth the cost, imo.

13. John P

https://keepersecurity.com/
    I tried a number of them and have found Keeper by far the easiest. It works fine offline but also has an online sync if you want.

14. Laurel

Not free, but worth the ~$20 a year: Roboform. Have been using since the late 90s, and find it worth the pennies a day.

15. LKJones

I use KeePass and keep the database synched between multiple devices with various cloud services ( for ease of use and in case one of those devices dies, I haven't lost my passwords).

It has Chrome and Firefox addons, generates passwords, can autofill with the addons, etc...

16. Jonathan H

I use 1Password and I love it! It is great and it's got plugins for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and more. It also has mobile apps. 1Password stores its files locally, though you can also store them in dropbox (if you have it installed) and then access them from any web browser that you can login to dropbox from. I've been using it for at least 2 years and the newest version (1Password 4) has lots of great improvements!

17. Laur Florin

I would also vote with KeePass for the same reasons - free, simple, open source, auto-logins, unlimited databases and passwords, advanced security features of the passwords. Plus, I am also using it and all my logins are now at a trivial Ctrl+Alt+ A combination press ;)

18. Murray

PasswordBox
    Cross platform, easy to use and free!
    https://www.passwordbox.com

I would try out KeePass, which is a free, open-source option that meets most of your requirements. More information can be found here: http://keepass.info, and plugins can be found here: http://keepass.info/plugins.html#formfiller

I'm sure there are plenty of other options to try, but KeePass has a standalone, portable option that can be put onto a flash drive so that the passwords are off the computer, and then can be used on any other Windows computer at any time. If you wish to have better auto-fill options, you could try RoboForm, though the free version is limited to saving only 10 logins, and the full version costs $30: http://www.roboform.com/.

• Keefe K

Thanks for the response! Also, those plugins look promising when it comes to integrating KeePass with Google Chrome!

20. kihara

Keepass is easy to use and has almost all the features you want. It is also free http://keepass.info/features.html

• Keefe K

Thanks for answer! I'll be sure to check that out.