What’s the best free Linux server distro for my hardware?

Rajaa C May 11, 2014

We are setting up a small DataCenter for our SMB office. The database will be MySQL Community version with a FREE Linux server distro. We will either go in for IBM BladeCenter S with two HS23E Blade Server with integrated 12TB storage in the chassis or Dell PowerEdge VRTX with two Dell PowerEdge M520 blade server again with initially integrated 12TB storage in the chassis. We will be having RPS integrated and want RAID 10 implemented.

I want to know your suggestions about which FREE Linux Server distro, if even not certified, will run or the suggested hardware and support RAID 10 implementation. Will Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS support the mentioned hardware and RAID 10? The advantage is MySQL comes with it’s repositary. Also kindly suggest other Free Linux server distro I can possibly look at?

1. Rajaa C

There is such a rich Linux skill-sets among the MUO writers, can someone guide me on this one please. I really do not want to get this wrong and somehow every question of mine seems to have a history of less responses. :(

2. dragonmouth

If your organization is business oriented, it is CentOS. If your organization is more scientifically and/or academically inclined, Scientific Linux is your best bet. Both are community versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Ubuntu Server does not have the track record of these two.

• Rajaa C

Yeah, CentOS and ClearOS is also in the radar. Can you kindly confirm if the mentioned hardware specs will be compatible and do tey support RAID10 (1+0) .

• Bruce E

You can do this with CentOS. Are you planning on using hardware or software RAID? From a "will it work?" standpoint, it doesn't matter, but for performance reasons you may want to consider using hardware for your RAID implementation in which case the system will just see one huge chunk of storage space.

When setting up the storage subsystem, ensure that the drives are not all from the same batch. Manufacturing defects tend to affect a portion of single batches, so having drives from separate production batches reduces the chance of multi-drive failures.

Depending on your up-time requirements, you may also want to consider using the optional hot-swappable power supplies as well as configuring drive sparing.

• Rajaa C

Thanks a ton both dragonmouth and Bruce. Probably I shall look into CentOS and hardware RAID as the combination and I will keep in mind all the suggestions given by you Bruce, when we implement the Data Center. :)