What’s the average battery life on a Moto G?

Kyem G June 6, 2014

Second question on Moto G. What’s the average battery life of your Moto G?

Mine lasts for nearly 7-8 hours with not much gaming, just with social networks, Facebook, Whatsapp and Twitter and mostly connected to WiFi while at home. At maximum, I’m on 2G and, less on on 3G, when out. I’m always connected.

I’ve used Battery Doctor app but I found no improvement rather the app is leading a bit more RAM usage, I guess as when it was installed the RAM showed 70% usage and after uninstalling it got down to 56%. OK.

I use a widget Transparent Weather by Droid27 and in the Battery menu, it shows minimal battery usage which uses location service once in 3 hours. I always keep the location service on as I travel a lot in rural India.

As per the advertisement of Moto G promising 24 hours of battery usage, which I never cared about as it was a marketing gimmick (the phone has a 2075 mAh battery). But still, I expected a bit more of juice in the battery. Is the battery life of my Moto G normal?

My phone is still under replacement warranty from Flipkart till 25th June (excluding the Motorola warranty) and if you say my phone’s battery life is a lower than what it should be, I can go for a replacement. Please do not suggest to me how to increase battery life as there are articles on the same in MUO and I thoroughly follow them.

1. Aum

Its almost been two days since i charged my moto g, and i still have 40 % battery remaining !.
    I have removed all social apps (whatsapp) and my average call duration throughout the day is about 10 mins.
    I am connect to wifi for about 9 hrs a day to receive emails and app updates.
    No gaming at all.

Earlier with 24 hrs wifi and extensive use of whatsapp made my battery last for about 26 hrs.

• Kyem G

Well Thank you Aum... yours is pretty good.
      Update: Now as per instructions by the Moto Care, I went for calibration process regularly for three days and yes it worked!! Now I get an average of 15-20 hours with all social networks, a bit Tweet-oholic, facebbok, my blog and whatsApp obviously with music and very lite games and use a bit of GPS almost every day. Also sometimes for loud music. I'm always connected to wifi when at home and to 2G/3G (as per availability). So I think mine is good enough... May be getting same as you are. Far better than samsung buddies, I guess

• Prem

@Kyem G: How You calibrate your phone??
      plzz reply...

No matter what Motorola claims,if the capacity is low,then no amount of optimization can give you more battery life for heavy usage.Motorola claims such life under certain fixed conditions.

You said that you travel in rural areas.IF the network coverage is low or not available,then at that time,the phone's 3G radios consumes much more battery in connecting to towers and to get better signal.

• Kyem G

I know these... Actually I'm looking for some more Moto G users and want to know their's battery performance. Well now my Moto G provides me almost 9-10 hours with wifi or 2g (some times 3g) on with social networks and location service. Mild gaming (subway surfer, shabdabaaji) music for few hours that too with my pendrive plugged in with OTG (I hope this may eat a bit more charge for powering the pendrive, donno exactly) and a bit of videos...

I don't use any battery saver on my Moto G and usually get 2, or even 3 days on a single charge if it's hardly used, or about a day's worth if I do use it. If I use it heavily, this drops to about 5 hrs.

• Kyem G

Can you please tell me what are the things you really do when you use it heavily?? This would help me to compare my usage and would get an approximate battery backup..

• Oron J

Heavy use would be mostly talk time and internet access (mail, newsreaders etc) and some simple games. I suspect it's mostly about keeping the phone awake (using screen power & the WiFi active) than the individual apps that account for the drain in the battery, but have not analysed it on this phone (though I have done on a previous Android phone).

• Kyem G

Then my usage is quiet heavy.. Well unknowingly I observed a better backup yesterday since my last charge and it lasted for nearly 11 hours (with 15% more to go) with continuous use of FB, Whatsapp, twitter and also downloading apps from app store, playing mild games, music, but no voice call ;) . I think its pretty decent. I got four hours more than what I was getting. Let's check it today. Will report.