What steps must I take to become a Linux administrator?

teja venom March 29, 2013

I am in a great confusion how to reach the position of Linux administrator. In fact i am an electrical engineer but i have great passion towards Linux so please suggest me any tips or guide me to fulfill my dream.
I have some basic knowledge in the arena of Linux.

1. Michael Heffner

The title "Linux Administrator" is usually given to you by an employer. You get those jobs by learning Linux inside and out. knowledge of the command line and working without a GUI are paramount to having this knowledge and being able to display and use it.

2. Donald Schultz

Go to the Linux Profession Institute web page and it will explain it all.
    https://www.lpi.org/

Set up multiple Linux systems, both desktop and server either on metal or virtual machines. Implement various network and server services on these machines. Configure and test your own firewall using iptables. Open and close various ports on the firewall. Use the command line for as much as you possibly can (you should be able to do EVERYTHING from the command line without resorting to any kind of GUI tools at all). Get very familiar with the man pages. Learn all of the capabilities of your favorite editor (vi or emacs, etc) and be able to do the basics with the others (not all shops use the same tools so you need to have some familiarity with many of them). Set up a mail server, a web server, a database server, a print server, a file server using NFS and/or Samba. Set up and test various backup methods for your servers and desktops. Set up monitoring solutions for the servers and services you have running. Once you are comfortable with things when they are running right, start breaking them. Corrupt your mail server data or a database table on your SQL server and try to fix it. Better yet, if you have a friend that also knows Linux, you should have them break things for you so you don't know what was done to provide more of a real-world test (I have yet to troubleshoot any problem on a live work system where I already knew exactly why things weren't working correctly). Learn scripting to help you manage administrative tasks on the machines. For example, write a script that will create a new user, give them access to a database they will need to use for their job, set up their email account, and give them access to the public directories for their department on the file server. Get to know cron for job scheduling. Understand how to add/modify/delete users and groups. You should also have a very firm grasp of file permissions. Get familiar with RAID and how it is set up. Dig into DNS, DHCP and NFS. Don't restrict yourself to a single distro; get familiar with both the Debian and RH/CentOS flavors as there are some differences between them and you may encounter both of them in various shops (or a combination of them in some as well). You may want to play around with Solaris/OpenSolaris as well to round things out a bit more.

• teja venom

Now i got the basic idea and what to do!. Really these are very helpful and valuable tips to me. I will definitely follow each and every suggestion.Thanks a lot!!!!

• teja venom

i checked out the links and they are useful

4. Chris Marcoe

Try here: http://www.linux.com/community/forums/getting-started-with-linux/how-to-become-a-linux-system-administrator/limit/20/offset/0

that is from Linux.com, so I would think its about as good an idea as you could get.

Good luck

• teja venom

Thanks for the immediate reply