What software will let me control my HP Pavilion DV6-6165-TX laptop’s fan speed?

Suvadeep P September 23, 2013

I am using HP Pavilion DV6 – 6165TX Entertainment Notebook PC (Laptop). The OS is Windows 7 64 Bit. I need a software that can control the system fan speed. I have tried Speed Fan 4.49 but it’s not working. Its hanging and freezing and even if it starts somehow I cannot see if any fans were detected and therefore can’t control anything.

So if there is any other software? Please provide the link.

well fresh thermal compound can be the first step but i doubt that this will make miracle? changing the entire cooling system can fix the problem (this is your responsibility since it is financial), if bios do not report to windows your fan physical properties then there is a bug in BIOS or it is manufacturer choice as i said above depends also on circuitry.

2. Suvadeep P

After a long search I got a software named "Open Hardware Monitor" which can detect the laptop fan but it is showing as "GPU Fan" when I am using ATI HD6770 graphics card. But when I am changing it to power saving Intel HD 3000 there is no fan detected (Switchable Graphics with Fixed Manual Mode) . Also when detected it is always working at 30%. I played games, tried stress testing with Intel Extreme Tuning utility but no increase in fan speed. Did manual control and changed it to 100% but fan never increased its speed. Is it a problem with the thermal compound. Do I need to reset the heat sink with fresh thermal compound or I need to change the entire cooling assembly? Please help. Thanks.

3. Suvadeep P

Tried resetting the CMOS Battery and also tried the advance command line parameters for speed fan. Still didn't work. Same as before. The software is unable to detect any fans in laptop as I cannot see any fans been detected and the speed of it. Under configure option Fans, Voltage, Speeds and Fan Control remains empty and there is nothing I can do.
    Can anyone has any idea? or a different software will do as well.
    Thanks.

If the physical design of your laptop is preventing your laptop from cooling sufficiently, I don't think any kind of fan control software will help you much, as its main purpose is to run the fans just fast enough, not to "overclock" them. It could be that you need a firmware update for your laptop (check the HP web site to confirm), or your heat sink may need reseating (but be careful, as laptop cooling systems can be tricky to reattach!).

As for SpeedFan, the discussion at http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2227401 may be of some help.

• Suvadeep P

Yes you are right. In that case I should get the laptop checked by the authorized HP personnel. In the meantime I would like to try if speed fan or other software works or not. I know if there is any hardware problem no software can make it right.

• Suvadeep P

I don't think it can be controlled from BIOS. I am not sure, please let me know if you know the process. I already have cool sense version 1.0.1.4 that comes with HP Support Assistant 6.1.12.1. The latest version of HP support assistant (Version 7) is not good as the cool sense works automatically and no manual control. Also it does not work that well and the temperature reaches quite high. Thats why I have stick to the older version of HPSA. The reason why I need the fan control software is that recently I dismantled my laptop and saw that both the CPU and GPU heat sink is integrated into one and there are two cooper pipes that connects two small heat sinks. Though the CPU heat sinks is bigger than the GPU but both are cooled by one fan only. I think this is the reason for such high temperature. I want a software where I can fully control the fan speed whenever I want.

have you tried to flash/update BIOS?
      try to reset cmos battery perhaps seedfan can work again

• Suvadeep P

Hovsep A:
      Yes I have the latest BIOS update from HP website. There are no update. What do you mean by resetting the CMOS battery? Do you want me to remove the battery and install it again?

yap try to remove the cmos for few minutes and reinsert.
      if you have power plan options maybe they can interfere with speedfan thus making unstable, also perhaps your fan is getting old time to buy a new one. Do also clean laptop from dust.

How to use SpeedFan's command line parameters?
      http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=3
      SpeedFan uses command line parameters to achieve tasks that can't be automatically done by SpeedFan autodetection routines