What software can improve video capture quality on my PC?

don mc morrow December 15, 2012

I installed a HDMI 1.3 PCI Express High Definition Video Capture Card to record TV from a set top box via a HDMIcable to my computer.

The Honestech software does the job but results could be better. I have a quad core 2.83 CPU and a NVidia GeForce 9800 Gt video card which I think should be adequate. So I think I need better software.

If there is no alternative I am quite willing to try it with Linux although I have no experience with Linux. Can anyone suggest some software that I can try first for better results?

1. Irshaad Abdool

try playing with the settings to record the file using .AVI or .mp4 file format

thanks for all the helpful replies. before I try some of them can you please tell me if using Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 8 64 bit would be an even better thing to do.
      I have 3 HDD in my computer and recently bought a legit Windows 8 64 bit for 30 euros but I haven't installed it yet. I was going to try a multi boot system but I was afraid it would interfere with the driver I have already installed for this card. I presume the card will need a different driver for 64 bit Windows.
      At present the picture is stable while I am only watching it, but when i try to capture it, the audio remains perfect but the picture starts to split into 2 halves (top and bottom) which dont quite align properly..it's like it's trying to scan progressively but not quite quickly enough. I really want to try some other software because I fear that the capture part of the card may be faulty. I'm hoping it's just a software problem and would like to give your suggestions the best shot possible.
      The Honestech software provided with the card has very limited options. it only records in MPEG 2 and only with the following resolutions:
      720 x 576, 1280 x720 and 1920 x1080. So I'm hoping that it's the culprit.

First I would like to thank everyone for their helpful replies and intend to follow them up and try some of them after I check them out.
      The Honestech HD DVR 2.5 software that came with the card has very limited options.It only records in MPEG2 and only at 720 x 576, 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080. When I watch TV with this card the picture is stable, but when I try capture, it almost splits in two ,top and bottom, which don't quite align properly. It is as if it was trying to scan progressively but wasn't quite quick enough. The problem is far worse at 1920 x1080. The audio remains perfect. I'm hoping the problem is with the software and not the Card.
      Would I be better to install a legit 64 bit Windows 8 that I bought for 30 euros and the software you suggest. would this give better results? I have 3 HDD in my computer and bought Windows 8 intending to have a dual boot system but didn't install it as i was afraid that it might interfere with my card's driver. At present i'm leaning towards uninstalling the card from my Windows 32bit (which i want to keep as i have 20 years of programs on it) and Installing my Windows 8 and trying the card on that. first with Honestech and then with 1) Camverce and 2) Cam Studio… thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

2. Saurabh Kumar

use cam studio...........

3. Ahmed Musani

Camverce is the best choice mate.

4. Mayur Godhani

Use CamStudio.

5. siddharth singh

you can try v reveal ... it is effective, but youl have to buy. you can check out the trial version

6. Aniket Singh

cam studio

7. Ashwin Ramesh

Screencast-O-Matic and Active Presenter are two other real good options too..

8. Max Young

You are using a 32 bit. Which is very hard to load new software now. Days are evolvinover updated this small 32 bit computer. Frankly I think it would have been more cost effective to buy a 64 bit standard windows 7 computer for 400 dollars. Than to have updated the old one. however You might be intrested in trying CAM STUDIO. I use it all the time and love it....

9. Âdil Farôôq

camverce result is good and probably one of the best options to use

10. luis donis

mirillis action,camtasia studio

11. Nikhil Chandak
    • Rohit Jhawer

Cam Studio is good too. You can give a shot to this as well.

12. Rohit Jhawer

try this http://www.innoheim.com/camverce.php

If that dosent help try to get a decent 2mega pixel cam that will be really helpful.

• James Maciel

agreed camverce is very nice and probably one of the best options out there.

13. Ahamed Yaseen

1) Camverce

2) Cam Studio...

3) Jing